Thread: Where on "NORMAL" is 200F for the engine temp guage?

Some Boost

Where on "NORMAL" is 200F for the engine temp guage?

The temperature gauge on the SVO is kind of generalized. For a large range it just says "NORMAL". I have it on good authority that the "L" is actually over-heating, but I digress.

Is there any way to interpret about where real temperatures lie on it? Say 200F, or 220F?

Thanks,

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post
    The temperature gauge on the SVO is kind of generalized. For a large range it just says "NORMAL". I have it on good authority that the "L" is actually over-heating, but I digress.

Is there any way to interpret about where real temperatures lie on it? Say 200F, or 220F?

Thanks,
    I think most will read slightly different. Best way I know of to get an accurate point is to warm the car up and then use an Infared Thermometer to get an actual temperature and note the guage reading.

Note the dash gauge sensor (sender?) is in the upper rear of the block, not at thermostat outlet or radiator core. On a hot engine there can easily be 40 F difference between thermostat oulet (s/b hottest point) and radiator return.

Keep this in mind when using an IR temp gauge - where you measure is critical.

Also note that under 15PSIG of pressure, with proper coolant, the "boil over" point is ~265 F. That is way off scale on the dash temp gauge.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post

Thanks,
    Yes, the "NORMAL" range on the gauge is somewhat vague. Where does the needle on your car run? Most of the SVO's I have had over the years would run between the "N" and the "O" using the stock thermostat, stock radiator, and a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol antifreeze and water. The cooling fan would not activate until the needle was between the "A" and the "L". The fan would shut off when it dropped back to between the "R" and the "M". I never got worried until it got past the "H". When that happened, it was for good reason -usually water pump failure, low coolant, or a failed fan controller.