Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headliner material

Half Boost

Smile headliner material

I have an early '84, can someone tell me for sure what type of material and how true color for my headliner and sunvisors??
    I know the visors are not correct because they have the air bag warning sticker on them. Prett sure that was not an option on a '84 SVO

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    It's my understanding that early 84's had vinyl for the headliner and sunvisors. I think they went to cloth in 85. The major confusion comes from the fact that ALL sunroof cars up to MY '93 had vinyl headliners. My old '93 LX hatch had a sunroof, vinyl headliner and cloth visors. My '84 t-top SVO is a little weird in that there was cloth under the vinyl on the headliner.

All SVO's have charcoal grey interiors which is well matched by Duplicolor's HVP-111 vinyl and fabric paint.

My 84 came with vinyl.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

My old 84 had vinyl.
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

Well that answered one question I had about my '84. I found my original headliner folded in half in my hatch under a bunch of engine parts. It had no material on it at all. Was there sound deadening between the headliner and the roof? I can't see any signs of it in my car, I was thinking of using some dynamat to help with noise isolation. I believe my car has the original sunvisors in it, they mount by the a-pillars and don't have any clips in the center like the later cars do. My car is an early '84 slapped bar car, I believe it was made in Dec. and the wheel center caps have stickers in them that say 11/21/83. I wish I could find the build sheet but it's. It under the rear seat, I may pull the carpet and see if it may be under there.

Half Boost
    MRZ, it sounds like your car and mine are pretty close together. Mine was built in Dec. of '83 also.
    So it sounds like I need vinyl for both the headliner and the sunvisors, right?

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    MRZ, it sounds like your car and mine are pretty close together. Mine was built in Dec. of '83 also.
    So it sounds like I need vinyl for both the headliner and the sunvisors, right?
    Yep, it is a grey, moonskin vinyl.

your build sheet may or may not be in the car, there are lots of places to check for it, under the front seats inside the front mounts, under the rear seat , behind the rear interior quarter pannels and inside the rear quarter body pannels, under the head liner , and they have even been found inside the door pannels.. ive found mine in the rear quarter , under the pass seat in the boxed front seat mount, under the carpet kit on drivers side floor board stuck to the carpet
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

I got the vinyl headliner from SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby Oregon. WWW.smsautofabrics.com 503-263-3535. It took 1 1/2 yards for the headliner. They will send samples if you request it. They had the seat fabric also.

Quote Originally Posted by GLASSMAN View Post
    your build sheet may or may not be in the car, there are lots of places to check for it, under the front seats inside the front mounts, under the rear seat , behind the rear interior quarter pannels and inside the rear quarter body pannels, under the head liner , and they have even been found inside the door pannels.. ive found mine in the rear quarter , under the pass seat in the boxed front seat mount, under the carpet kit on drivers side floor board stuck to the carpet
    Thats good to hear. I hope I can find the sheet somewhere in the car. Thanks for the heads up on the headliner material too, I will check our local shop and see if they have something similar or if they can order the material for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
    Thats good to hear. I hope I can find the sheet somewhere in the car. Thanks for the heads up on the headliner material too, I will check our local shop and see if they have something similar or if they can order the material for me.
    of the 10-12 mustangs ive owned , Ive found like 4. The ford 999 report is fraught with errors but is a OK replacement for the build sheet if you cant come up with it in the car and is just cool documentation to have
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

Quote Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
    It's a pretty easy job to do. Take the old board out and separate the old liner from it's backing board. After you have it off, clean the board using a scotch pad. Trial fit your liner. Use 3M #78 spray glue, follow the directions on the can. I like to lay the materials out in the sun to be pliable, stretch and it makes it easier to attach to the backboard. When it cools it also tightens up and looks great! Reinstall and admire your work!

Was there sound deadening between the headliner and the roof? I can't see any signs of it in my car, I was thinking of using some dynamat to help with noise isolation.
    My early 84 (Nov '83) had a vinyl material on the headliner. When it started to sag, i took it to a local upholstery shop and they replaced it with a similarly-colored fabric. They added a very thin (1/8"?) foam layer to the pressboard then put the fabric over that. I can't say if the original had any foam liner on it.

There was nothing for insulation or sound material between the top of the headliner board and the inner roof - just an occasional piece of tape for the wiring to the upper lights.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    The original 84 vinyl headliner had a thin 1/8" layer of foam underneath the vinyl that was in turn glued to the backing board. It is this thin layer of foam that rots out and causes the headliner to droop and sag.

Building Boost
    I replaced the cloth headliner in my 86, I got the material from Eastwood. I had read on another forum that the Eastwood charcoal headliner material matched the SVO's pretty good but it didn't, it was what I would call a light grey. I went with it anyway, I already had the old liner off the backing board and didn't want to wait any longer.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    I got the vinyl headliner from SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby Oregon. WWW.smsautofabrics.com 503-263-3535. It took 1 1/2 yards for the headliner. They will send samples if you request it. They had the seat fabric also.
    Last I checked SMS didn't have any NOS vinyl or cloth material left.

Noob
    Can the backing board be purchased new?

Can the backing board be purchased new?
    LMR used to sell repro ones. Shipping is the cost killer these days.

Hmm..this is interesting.. I have an early '84 (11/83) and I have a cloth headliner that seems to be a very close match to the stock seat material.. I know the front seats were re-upholstered as close to stock as the previous owner could get them but he didn't say anything about the headliner. Looks like im going to have to sift through the stack of old receipts he gave me to find out..I know I saw an upholstry receipt somewhere..

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Mdmustang302, Your headliner has been replaced. The original on an 84 was vinyl with the perforation pattern in it.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)