Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Rack and Pinion

Rack and Pinion

I am going to replace my rack and pinion due to leaking and noise.

I am thinking about this one from advanced:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...544_0_0_100813

Any negatives? Some are advertised as 1 pc and others as 2pc and this one mentions the TRW design. Would this one be the same ratio (lock to lock) as what I have?

Frank

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    When you get remanned racks from the parts houses, you're probably not going to get one for a Mustang. More than likely, you'll get the one that came off the Fairmont or the LTD.....and it'll steer like one. If you like the steering response you have now, call rockauto and have yours rebuilt. Option two is get a rack from AGR. Summit racing and I think Jeg's has them for like $280.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

I saw these listed as well. One is sport steering 2.25 turns lock to lock and the other is sport steering 2.5 turns lock to lock. What does our 86 SVO have 2.25 or 2.5?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._2368%2C100816

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._2374%2C100816

Cardone remans are alright. Get them from Rock Auto, I think Pat posted a discount number for them.

Noob
    Over the years I've replaced many of these. The part number you want is A-1 Cardone #22207 or #22207HDTS.

Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    I am going to replace my rack and pinion due to leaking and noise.

I am thinking about this one from advanced:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...544_0_0_100813

Any negatives? Some are advertised as 1 pc and others as 2pc and this one mentions the TRW design. Would this one be the same ratio (lock to lock) as what I have?

Frank
    The stock 84 rack was a TRW 20:1 ratio. In 85 and 86 SVO uses a Ford 15:1. Also the 1 piece or 2 question comes from the design of the rack bushings. The SVO uses the single design.

I saw these listed as well. One is sport steering 2.25 turns lock to lock and the other is sport steering 2.5 turns lock to lock. What does our 86 SVO have 2.25 or 2.5?
    The 84 SVO (only) had the TRW rack. It was 3.0 turns lock-to-lock.

All later SVO's and ALL Fox chassis with the "Handling Package" came with the Ford rack and at 2.5 turns ltl. So any reman Ford handling package 2.5 t-ltl will work.

The 2.25 ltl is for sn95 models.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I went to the Summit Racing toy store in McDonough yesterday and talked to the sales clerk. I don't know about the Flaming River ones but all the other brand racks are all rebuilt. The $300 racks don't have a core charge. They pulled the Summit Racing one and the Cardone 22207 I looked them over & measured. The only difference I saw was the paint was smooth. I went with the Card one $105 with the core. I'm going to use Redline power steering fluid and Moog tie rod ends. Now just need the heat & humidity to back off so I can put it together.

I tried the Cardone 22-207 and the 22-203f and neither fit my early 84. Ended up ordering a 22 - 203t (TRW) from Advance and used an 85 GT hose. Works like a charm. $62.99 $60.00 core $15.00 shipping
    Dark Charcoal Metallic (2A to 9W)
    225/50/17 on 2005 GT Premium Rims
    70k miles

Quote Originally Posted by SVO8T4 View Post
    I tried the Cardone 22-207 and the 22-203f and neither fit my early 84. Ended up ordering a 22 - 203t (TRW) from Advance and used an 85 GT hose. Works like a charm. $62.99 $60.00 core $15.00 shipping
    I have an early SVO myself. The 22-207 fit fine, except you needed the different size rack bushings.