Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Power Steering Hose Obsolete???

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar

Power Steering Hose Obsolete???

Hi All,
    was doing a cursory look around my favourite parts sites today, Oreilly's, Rock Auto, LRS, Fox Resto; and no-one seems to list a high pressure hose (pump to rack) for the 84-86 SVO. Now i know that the 84's with the TRW rack used one hose and the 85 & 86 used a different one but I can find a listing for either at any of the above listed suppliers. Have they stopped making these??? Is there a good alternative???

Bring an original on over to Williams Oil Filter Supply in Tacoma. They should have nor problem making one or more.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Looking up a GT Turbo P/S hose worked for me on an 84 SVO.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

When I replaced the TRW with the newer rack in my old 84 I used one for a V8 listing. Worked fine.
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

Ok, so i ran the part numbers for an 86 SVO, 86 LX 4cyl and an 86 GT on the Oreilly's webpage.

They all list the same rack, 22-207HDTS. The SVO and LX share the same pump, 20-6247, while the GT uses a 20-6248. There is no high pressure hose listed for an SVO but the number listed for the LX and the GT is 71180.

So, therefore, it's safe to assume that the 71180 hose will work for the SVO as the line fittings on the pump and rack ends appear to be interchangeable.

Noob
    Yes, the 71180 hose will work with the 22-207HDS rack and the 20-6247 pump. I'm presently running that same combo in several of my cars. However, for a 1984 SVO I would go with the 22-207, as the urethane mount bushing that comes with the 22-207HDS will not fit the 84 SVO. The 84's use a different size mount bushing (larger) than the 85 and later Fox bodied cars. I use the original 84 style mount bushings and bolts with the replacement rack.

Please note that the 71180 hose WILL NOT work with the stock 1984 SVO TRW steering rack. Sadly, the 1984 SVO pressure hose has been extinct for over a decade now.

Curiously, I've had more problems with failures of the original TRW steering rack in 84 SVO's than pressure hose failures. I always end up changing the pressure hose anyway to mate up with the rebuilt 22-207 racks that I use for replacement in the 84's.
    Last edited by Eyelawdoc; 06-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.

'doc, I swapped the TRW with a 15:1 rack in Blackie about 4 years ago and have always been glad I did. This is for the t-top car so I was just doing some preliminary checking for budgetary purposes.

Are you saying the bolt size is different or just the bushing size in the rack??

I have two SVO steering racks needing bushings. One is for the 86 and the k-member has mounts coming out of it. I suspect the two-piece bushings are needed here. On this one the bolt threads into k-member. The 84 k-member does not have the mounting bosses and the bolts require nuts on the end opposite the k-member. Are these the correct bushings for the 84?
    getimage.jpg

And for the 86 are these correct?
    getimage (1).jpg

The 86 seems like it would hold rack better with the mounting bosses on K-member.
    First production car to have disc brakes at all 4 wheels......
    '54 Austin-Healey

I have the previously owned stock bushings from my 84. You can have them for shipping costs.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Sounds good.
    First production car to have disc brakes at all 4 wheels......
    '54 Austin-Healey

I will dig them out over the weekend. You may need to remind me - I'm running a bit behind these days.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    I was having the original TRW rack rebuilt however after several attempts the shop can"t get it to stop leaking when pressure tested. So I will be installing a newer 15:1 rack assy. I wanted to keep everything original but looks like this will be the exception. That's the bad news. The good news is the pressure hose was replaced several years ago and is still fine so if anyone is looking for the correct TRW rack pressure hose send me a PM.