PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

SVOBoyd
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey all I just took the SVO out for a ride and it started smoking like crazy. Seems to get worse as it warms up. I pulled the plugs and they look good, all are a light brown with a reddish hue, and checked the compression and got 160, 155, 160, 155. Don't see any coolant in the oil and vice versa. What do you think turbo seals? Kind of bummed because I just had the turbo rebuilt last winter.

MikeFleming
09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
What condition are the valve stem seals in?

When and how much smoke? Color?

SVOBoyd
09-19-2012, 05:23 PM
What condition are the valve stem seals in?

When and how much smoke? Color?

Mike

The valve seals are about five years old but less than 1000 miles. Doesn't appear to smoke when cold but after warming up there is a fair amount of what looks like white smoke, it fills the garage up pretty good. Smells like oil, at first I thought oil was leaking and getting on the exhaust until I saw it coming out of the tail pipes.
Thanks,

Kevin

Stinger
09-20-2012, 12:16 AM
White smoke (steam) is coolant which would indicate a blown headgasket. Your compression test was good though. Are you sure it's not a light blue smoke? Does it seem to hang in the air forever or dissipate rather quickly?

If it's the turbo, you should be able to pull the downpipe and find oil lining the pipe.

SVOBoyd
09-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Stinger it's probably more light blue than white and it does stick around for a while. I'm fairy certain its oil, smells like and old Briggs and Straton engine bunring oil. Guess I just need to get busy and pull the down pipe. Thanks for the help.

scenario
09-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Check oil consumption? I would suspect turbo and look there first.

SVOBoyd
09-28-2012, 06:28 AM
All thanks for your help. I've got some house projects going on now but hopefully in a few weeks I'll get a chance to pull the turbo. I'll take some pictures of it whe I get it out. I'm going to talk to the company that rebuilt it and see what they will do. If they won't give me a break on the cost of rebuilding it I may try to replace the seals myself. From what I've seen online it looks fairly straight forward. Anyone here ever rebuilt a turbo?

MikeFleming
09-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Also check the turbo oil drain line to make sure it's not kinked or restricted.

SVOBoyd
04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Well I know this thread is a little old but I finally had a chance to pull my turbo, there was about 1/8" of play in the shaft! I sent it to Charlie at Evergreen Turbo and he said the compressor wheel, shaft, and bearings were shot. He said it appeared to him that it was starved for oil and recommended that the turbo oil feed line be replaced. Anyway I'm really happy, Charlie rebuilt it for what it cost him in parts.

Meotchh
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
And I know where you can buy a new feed line that is a near perfect match to the original. ;)

SVOBoyd
04-16-2013, 07:24 AM
And I know where you can buy a new feed line that is a near perfect match to the original. ;)

Really where?

Just kidding money sent, thanks!