PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Coolant Hose

scenario
09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I have replaced ALL of my coolant hoses. I was wondering about the 2 short straight pieces that are located under the turbo. There is a small bent pipe that has 2 straight pieces of hose on it. The existing hose is orange silicone type hose and I was wondering if I could replace it with standard gates coolant hose.

Being it had silicone hose I wasnt sure if that was bc of its proximity to the turbo.

I was thinking it would be OK if stock was black regular coolant hose?

Does anyone know?

BTW This is a 1986 SVO

MikeFleming
09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
The reinforced silicone has a higher temp rating and will last longer there. The outsides of it see a much higher temp due to the location of the turbine housing and downpipe. A non-silicone, reinforced rubber-like material will also work, but will not last as long.

If you're going to replace those pieces, get (3) 2.5 inch sections of 1/2" hose and replace the one on the top tube hose also (coming out of the turbo and flowing into the upper tube running along the cam cover).

Be sure to get reinforced hose - NOT solid silicone. And be sure to use full clamps - not the ones with the serations/threads that c=touch the hose material. The silicone will flow out the serations and damage the hose material.

scenario
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I have some aeroquip FC332 - 08 hose that I used to run my cooling lines for my transmission on my boat. I have a few feet left over and it is really heavy duty stuff. Not sure if I could use it for this application. I think I may though!

Mike S
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I use the reinforced silicone hose you can get from mcmaster.com. They also have the full wrap hose clamps.

scenario
09-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks

After speaking with the moreland hose (hydraulic hose supplier/fabricator) thay assured me the FC332 would meet or exceed the specs on the silicone hose. The FC332 was high temperature rated and very heavy duty.

I think I will be OK.

He had the silicone hose but told me I was fine with the FC332. I explained the application and told me dont bother bc I was good to go.