PDA

View Full Version : blower motor not coming on

Larry_S
10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
The blower motor is not coming on when I turn the fan controls on. The 30amp fuse is fine. Is there known issues I should look for?

Patrick
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
1. The resistor pack in the heater box may have burned out.
2. The fan control switch or harness connector may be burned up.
3. Check the wiring at the above locations.

If you have an option delete for A/C, that switch is less heavy duty than the switch for an A/C car and is wired differently as well.

Larry_S
10-13-2012, 10:17 PM
My car has AC from factory. I really wish I had factory schematics. I'll try to find them online.

Patrick
10-13-2012, 10:35 PM
You don't need a schematic to check the resistor pack.
It can be removed in a minute or less.
Check resistance and continuity.
If it's burned up you can tell by the good old "sniff" test.

Larry_S
10-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I swapped out the fan panel with my other 84 and it works now. It was intermittent with fan control assembly that was installed which by the way was falling apart when I removed it. The one removed was from California car with 100k miles and I suspect the sun got the better of the plastic over the years. The one I slaved in was form my 45k mile Canadian SVO that was like new compared to the one I removed. However the blower comes on at all levels now but the air flow on high in defrost mode seems low to me. Any idea what would cause the air flow to suck? Sorry couldn't help it. ;)

MikeFleming
10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Are the vacuum door flapper motors engaged towards defrost??

I've forgotten where the air is directed with the engine off and all vacuum bled out. Patrick would know.

Patrick
10-14-2012, 04:25 PM
If you took one off a Canadian SVO, it may have likely had no A/C. Double check.

Larry_S
10-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Are the vacuum door flapper motors engaged towards defrost??

I've forgotten where the air is directed with the engine off and all vacuum bled out. Patrick would know. How do I test if vacuum door flapper motors are engaged?

Larry_S
10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
If you took one off a Canadian SVO, it may have likely had no A/C. Double check.
It has AC