PDA

View Full Version : Alternator harness

Gotboost?
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Six months ago I did the 3G upgrade including the wire kit from PA performance. Today I noticed my original alternator plug (field, stator wire, black wire w/red stripe) is in poor shape and has been for some time. Are these plugs/pigtails available new or should I cut the wires and solder them thus eliminating the plug?

MikeFleming
10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
The pigtails are readily available for the alternator side, but probably no for the chassis electrical side.

In any case it's very nice to have a disconnect for the cabling to/from the alternator so you don't need to take the wires off the back of it whenever you service the engine (in ways that may require removing the alternator for access). Two fewer steps.

Gotboost?
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mike..........I think I'll search the local salvage yards and hopefully find a decent one.

MikeFleming
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
The problem on the SVO isn't just the connector, it's also the too-small a gauge wire in the harness.

They used a 10ga copper wire and associated 30 AMP connector for a 65AMP alternator. Just a matter of time before the whole thing melts. Usually the connectors overheat and melt first, but the insulation on the rest of the cable also takes a huge beating.

Replace it all and use a larger gauge of cable, at least 8ga. 6 is more better (for a stock alternator output).

My solar installation uses 4 ga copper wire to feed the house.