PDA

View Full Version : F1 Trivia



8T6 SVO
11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
What year was Nigel Mansell first F1 race and at what race?

MikeFleming
11-06-2012, 09:10 AM
1980 Austrian Grand Prix, in a Lotus 81.

Raven855
11-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Got any more questions?

8T6 SVO
11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh - I thought this was the PRO F1 website, I must have posted here by mistake. I didn't know that you all were such EXPERTs here. :)

Well, I knew someone here would know the answer to that question... But since you ask Tony, what was the engine displacement of the Lotus 81, how many carburetors did it have, and what was the compression ratio?

Patrick
11-08-2012, 11:22 PM
3 liter Cosworth DFV. None. I guess 14.2 to 1 on C/R.
(Didn't google to find any answers)

----------------------------------------------------------
answers from: http://www.historicengines.com/dfv/specs.html

2993 cc's.
Fuel injected.
The above listed version had 11.0 to 1 C/R, which I imagine was an earlier stage of tune than the Lotus 81 had installed). Later versions had 12/1 and 13/1 listed as well.

Raven855
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
The first DFV Cosworth engine was 2992.8 CI with 13.28 compression with the fuel handled by Essex. The later units were 2992.98 CI with 11.5 compression and the fuel was handled by Lucas. The engines in the 88Bs were the 11.5 compression and I have no idea what the difference was between the 2992.8 and 2992.98 units were.

Patrick
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
... I have no idea what the difference was between the 2992.8 and 2992.98 units were.

Service rebuild / replacement specs with a standard replacement piston oversized select fit by .002", most liikely.

I used Cosworth pistons in some of my engines, and they were works of art. I've also heard the story of the piston manufacturer's grandmother in charge of deburring every piston that they made before being shipped on for final usage. Nothing slipped by her QC!

Bob Holmes
11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Wow, I'm not worthy.

MikeFleming
11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
What was the maximum allowed boost pressures allowed according to the rules for F1 engined during each of the listed years:

1985
1987
1988
1989

Patrick
11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
What was the maximum allowed ...


Hey, you're suppposed to be gone for the weekend!

Zero is the answer.

Raven855
11-10-2012, 06:48 AM
1985-none?
1987-4 Bar
1988-2.5 Bar
1989-turbos kaput........

Great question! And after I started to looked it up, I thought Duh! I knew that! Who can forget those defective pop off valves going off! Hahahahaha

Raven855
11-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Wow, I'm not worthy.

Horse hockey!

MikeFleming
11-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Patrick is Incorrect.

Tony is Correct!!
Note in 85 there wewre NO boost limits and several engines used 5.5Bar.

Sweet!

MikeFleming
11-10-2012, 09:02 AM
What was the Honda engine label designation for the 1987 turbo F1 engines used in the McLarens?

SVOC
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Designation is MP4/4

MikeFleming
11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
The question was referring to year 1987. And a designation such as MP4/4 would be a McLaren chassis type, NOT a Honda engine designation.

Please try again.

SVOC
11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Ah Blarg

SVOC
11-10-2012, 11:13 AM
RA168E

MikeFleming
11-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Very close!

For 1987 it wsas designated RA167-E in 4-BAR flavor..
1988 was the RA168-E, the 2.5 BAR flavor.

SVOC
11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks,...................

I'm really not an F1 guy, I just don't care for it, I detest NASCAR even more.

MikeFleming
11-10-2012, 02:26 PM
You are forgiven for detesting NASCAR.

And banned (until your next post) for not being an avid F1 fan. However you did very well on an abstract F1 question.

But still banned.

Bob Holmes
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks,...................

I'm really not an F1 guy, I just don't care for it, I detest NASCAR even more.

You live 41 minutes from the first F1 race in the USA in years. How can you not be spending next weekend at the COA? At least I'll know someone in the area when I make the journey in 2014.