PDA

View Full Version : Help with Clutch Cable Adjuster

stockman1
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I bought a clutch firewall adjuster from Late Model Restoration. All was going well untill i tried to push it into the firewall. Is the firewall clutch cable pass thru hole different on an SVO than any other manual shift mustang? Please help???:confused:

MikeFleming
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AFAIK, the firewall sheet metal is the same for all FOX bodies of that year.

What doesn't fit? Show me pics.

SVOC
11-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes the holes are the same in the firewall, please tell me that you bought the adjustable clutch cable too?

Do all your primary adjustment with the cable, and the finite adjustment with the firewall adjuster.

IF IT IS ADJUSTED WRONG, IT WILL DESTROY THE FIREWALL!!!

Look at these pictures to see what a mal-adjusted firewall adjuster with a Motorsport King Cobra clutch did to the firewall of this Mudstain:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.216038878415173.62287.111537295531999&type=3

This was a days worth of work, and I took the patch from an 86' GT I disassembled/scraped and grafted it into the firewall after I welded the damaged firewall up, and laid the patch on top of it and hot glued it into place.

stockman1
11-16-2012, 12:04 PM
AFAIK, the firewall sheet metal is the same for all FOX bodies of that year.

What doesn't fit? Show me pics.That would have been my assumption however the diameter of the adjuster is slightly larger. I will get the digital calipers out when I get home to measure the difference. The piece i bought was SVE I believe it is late models house brand and was for 79-04 mustangs. I called them and they thought the SVO had a different cable diameter?? Nothing simple seems to be simple right now. :mad:

SVOC
11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
The one I bought went right in my wife's 86' and when I had my 85.5' several years back I put one in it with no issues.

stockman1
11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
1.36in dia for the adjuster and 1.38in dia for the hole in the firewall. I cant check the hole for roundness, too much in the way. Use a metal file?

MikeFleming
11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
IF IT IS ADJUSTED WRONG, IT WILL DESTROY THE FIREWALL!!!

Look at these pictures to see what a mal-adjusted firewall adjuster with a Motorsport King Cobra clutch did to the firewall of this Mudstain:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.216038878415173.62287.111537295531999&type=3 Too heavy a clutch effort will do that - no matter what cable (unless you the cable to break before the firewall ruptures). And it would take >100 Lbs of pedal push - or 80 Lbs for a couple thousand pushes to fatigue the cheap metal of the firewall.

Use a metal file? Yeah, you only need to gain 0.020" somewhere. Can you hand-file a round hole?

stockman1
11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Not sure but i dont have room for hole saw without removing a bunch of stuff I will only take out minimal material

brownsvo
11-16-2012, 11:13 PM
will the 5.0 adjustable set ups (100$~) work? i thought i read somewhere that they where too long.

I only ask because i was going to get the whole setup but couldnt find good info. and shopping for a car that is several thousand miles away is a PITA lol!

Black Fridaaaay! :)
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7553A/82-95-Mustang-Adjustable-Clutch-Cable-Kit

stockman1
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Not sure but i dont have room for hole saw without removing a bunch of stuff I will only take out minimal materialused a metal file and a bit of persuasion but its in. What should have been plug and play turned out to be a project! I question the quality of some aftermarket vendors?

MikeFleming
11-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I question the quality of some aftermarket vendors? Or maybe the quality and "precision" of the Fox??

SVOC
11-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Or maybe the quality and "precision" of the Fox??

I would be more inclined to go with Mike's answer, think a about it, why would Ford change the firewall??

That is way to expensive of a change for a Mudstain that sold less than 10k units, AND let's not forget the Turbo GT's, eitherway the variance that Ford has on production are great.

Funny I just had this conversation on the phone, and what it came down to was, these are not high end vehicles, they are American vehicles, some of the middle/lower end of QC there is.

What should have been plug and play turned out to be a project!

LOL, nothing that is aftermarket is really plug & play, or should we use the term "Bolt-On" there is more than likely some persuasion that needs to be done to make it work right.

Stinger
11-17-2012, 09:42 PM
will the 5.0 adjustable set ups (100$~) work? i thought i read somewhere that they where too long.

I only ask because i was going to get the whole setup but couldnt find good info. and shopping for a car that is several thousand miles away is a PITA lol!

Black Fridaaaay! :)
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7553A/82-95-Mustang-Adjustable-Clutch-Cable-Kit

The 5.0 adjustable cable won't connect to the SVO at the bellhousing without modification.

dagenham
11-18-2012, 06:05 AM
I had an '84 F-150 years ago that was bone stock 351W and had the firewall on it do the same thing. Luckily all I had to do was weld it back together since there was plenty of room to work.
No clutch and a large load of firewood to get home without a clutch is not fun.

stockman1
11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
I thought that the firewall adjuster just might take out a bit of the chirp from the throw-out bearing. Didnt happen, I would like to think its a bit better but still needs repair.