PDA

View Full Version : steering rack fittings

stott
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
hello,

I just realized that the two fittings that fit in the old rack do not fit in the new cardone unit I have. they look to be physically too long and they bottom out, preventing me from screwing them in.

any advice or thoughts? I'd never seen this issue mentioned before

thanks!

Chalky
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
What year is your car and what year car is the rack designed for??? Got a part number for the new rack??? There is a difference in racks between 84 & 85-6.

stott
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
it's an 84. what u say makes sense because I had to get different bushings than the 85 86. I'll get the part number but I know it's been recommended here before, it the 2.5 turns lock to lock one for ford handling package

MikeFleming
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Yep, that's the Ford rack. The 84 models used a 16mm bolt to mount the rack to the k-frame so the center hole in the bushings & k-frame is rather large. The later cars used 12mm bolts so the center holes in the bushings & k-frame have a much smaller hole.

You want the bushing to match the mounting bolts, so you need the early bushings. You can cut the inside of the later bushings to fit the early bolts if you have access to a lathe.

The large holes (outer OD of bushings) are the same for early and late.

stott
01-17-2013, 08:41 PM
yea, i already have the correct bushings installed. it was kind of a pain but not too bad.

but i'm actually stuck on the power steering fluid lines - the ones on my car do not fit this new rack. i haven't tried the smaller one yet, but the bigger fitting out of the two does not fit.

edit: the rack i purchased is the

CARDONE

stott
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
found this picture over at FEP, but that thread couldn't give a definitive answer on how to solve the problem.

http://i.imgur.com/fvGss.jpg

my fitting type is on the right, the 85/86 is probably the left one.

edit:

further research has led me to conclude that the only hose that is different is the pressure hose, not the return hose. i will be buying power steering pump - steering rack pressure hose for a GT mustang (rockauto didn't have the part listed for 85/86 SVO).

stott
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
(sorry for all the new posts, can't edit after 60 minutes

I'm not sure which hose I need of all of these:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Power-Steering-Hoses

Bob Holmes
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
We've learned a few things about editing...

(yeah, you know who you are!)