PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have pics of the GTS headlight covers?

brownsvo
01-24-2013, 06:18 AM
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/GTS-GT0209S/84-85-Mustang-Svo-Smoked-Headlight-Covers for example.. im not a fan of smoked, but if i could find them clear it would beat switching over to flush mount headlights.

Chalky
01-24-2013, 07:24 AM
I had 'em on Blackie, plenty of pics around.

Meotchh
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
There are several pics in this thread: http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthread.php?1433-R-I-P-quot-Blackie-the-Wonderbeater-quot

MikeFleming
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I think he wants "before" pics.

brownsvo
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
lol too soon mike...

The pic of him pulling into the driveway in the same thread has a pic.. i like it alot.. i have some thin plastic i may attempt to make work.

BrianM
01-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I think those covers on the recessed light look better than the 86 flush mounts.

Meotchh
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
I think he wants "before" pics.

:stick_poke:The thread includes before & after pics. Schmitt posted some good ones from Sturgis.

Patrick
01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Everyone wants pics but nobody wants the real parts? I have a few sets.

KevinK
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I bought Some original Ford covers. Looking for someone to repop.

Kendal Coker
01-25-2013, 06:04 AM

I bought a new set when I bought my car. I ended up breaking one of mine. I would like to find another set.

brownsvo
01-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Everyone wants pics but nobody wants the real parts? I have a few sets.

go on i may be interested...... :)

blueboss
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gts-gt0209c

Chalky
01-26-2013, 01:16 AM

You mean these ones??? It's on my to-do list.

Kendal Coker
01-26-2013, 05:09 AM
You mean these ones??? It's on my to-do list.

Those are the ones I am looking for.

GLASSMAN
01-26-2013, 08:40 AM
First and fore most , those are not plastic, and if they are , someone needs to be slapped . They should/need to be made from lexan as lexan can take more of an impact/stress/flex without breaking. The ones on blackie came from me and i got them from gary alsobrook no matter what the condition of them now they should be kept for memory reason. They are/were gto covers and can still be found if you look hard . Id like to see the set you have pat, been concidering a set of them since chalky put them on the wonder beater, will you please post a pic of the set you have

GLASSMAN
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
A repro of the ones chalky posted would be bitchen. As long as they made them in lexan with a R rating higher then 10

Chalky
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
A repro of the ones chalky posted would be bitchen. As long as they made them in lexan with a R rating higher then 10

Can you get me some????

The covers on Blackie were pretty smashed up. I'll see if the bits made it back into the car or if they got embedded in the trees:):):)

MikeFleming
01-26-2013, 07:10 PM
As long as they made them in lexan with a R rating higher then 10 R for race?

Chalky
01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Burson, what about polycarbonate????

GLASSMAN
01-27-2013, 06:24 AM
can you get me some????

The covers on blackie were pretty smashed up. I'll see if the bits made it back into the car or if they got embedded in the trees:):):).

Polycarbonate is a type of lexan, unfortunatatly g.e. Trademarked the word lexan , so no other polycarbonate manufacture can officially call thier product lexan. Polycarbonate can be found at almost any good flat glass shop. When drilling holes in lexan/polycarbinate run the drill bit in reverse and melt your way through it so it doesnt grab when you come through the back side and run it up the drill bit and snap it......... holes and sunlight are the only major enemy to polycarbonate. so when searching for a good lexan always ask for the highest uv and r rateing they can get. the stuff we used in the windshield of vinces car was r-15, scratch resistant with a high impact resistance. should stop a .38 or 9mm at point blank range

mike , the r rating has to do with time that the material is supposted to remain resistant to the elements and not micro fracture. the higher the rating the longer it will put up with the elements

Chalky
01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I'll take one into Tap Plastics tomorrow and see what they can do.

KevinK
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, I have one in good shape and one with some cracks. A couple of simple modifications would make them easier to install. These seem to be injection molded possibly something could be stamped maybe trimming the cost? Lexan as changed over the years with the uv protection. I don't think sheet goods include uv protection or was it uv and mold release. I would buy 2 sets min.

Chalky
01-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Kevin, I'm gonna work on this in the coming weeks. The set pictured was given to me with the intention of making some. I'm going to make a buck and try vacuum molding some. Just need to find the correct material and build a vacuum setup. Luckily I have access to a large woodshop and the Special FX guys at work are good at this stuff too.

Meotchh
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Bass wood is your friend when it comes to making a plug for something like that.

Chalky
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I spoke to one of my Grimm co-workers today. She does Special FX and creature makeup but she's also an avid vacu-former. We're going to work on these in the coming weeks and hopefully we can have a few sets done in time for Knott's.

Kevin, what mods would you suggest to make these better???

in2fords
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I miss working on the sets, there like entire civilizations of their own! I swear in case of emergency Im heading to the studios, there is someone that can do ANYTHING, their like the SeeBee's for the civilian world :)

FinnSVO
03-10-2015, 12:44 AM

Not too many pictures around anymore, or at least I couldn't find... Anyway here are clear GTS covers installed straight from box. Not perfect fit but OK for me. Doesn't look that bad. ;)

TheSVOTrust
03-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Kevin, I'm gonna work on this in the coming weeks. The set pictured was given to me with the intention of making some. I'm going to make a buck and try vacuum molding some. Just need to find the correct material and build a vacuum setup. Luckily I have access to a large woodshop and the Special FX guys at work are good at this stuff too.

YEAH-And I thought I'd have them back by now ! What did you get married, move and stop working on cars ! LOL

Mark
P.S. I"m no better have had a few SVO video productions planned but taking longer to bring to the community than I thought. Production company wants to SELL outright through car distribution / I want to just offer to members and group buys.