PDA

View Full Version : Parking light socket changes

k98dave
02-04-2013, 10:16 AM
I noticed one of my inner parking lights is brighter than the other. I installed new bulbs in both, one still brighter. I looked at the sockets and the one that's brighter has been replaced. It has two metal contacts at the base the other socket has one at the base and the other is on the side contacting the bulb. Both bulbs are the same with two contacts at the base. The socket with two contacts to the bulb base looks identical to the sockets in my 93.

The only replacement sockets available are also for later model (87-93) so I will get one to have both lights equal. Anybody know why this is?

Thanks

Meotchh
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I do not know about the replacement sockets.

Have you taken the time to troubleshoot the suspect dim socket?

If you swap the bulbs & the problem still remains in only one socket, then you can say there is a problem related to that socket. It could be the contacts need cleaning which would cause an increase in resistance, the wires could be corrodded causing increased resistance, the connection to ground could be inadequate causing an increase in resistance, the wires could be poorly spliced or damaged causing an increase in resistance. Any of those problems are easy to correct.

k98dave
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Figured it out, the cause is the newer style sockets have two base contacts which, when you install a bulb with two elements both elements will be on. The other (original ) socket having only one contact will power only one element in the bulb. I looked for single element bulbs but all were clear not amber
So I can either try and find an original socket (not too likey) or just update the other side to the newer style socket/two contact two element bulb
Actually its not a problem as brighter parking lights are OK as long as the are both the same.

k98dave
02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
OK I pulled the other light with the original socket on my car and also looked at another SVO today. Both inner lights are only two wire sockets. One 18 gauge lead to the contact in the socket for the bulb contact (VDC) and one 22 gauge to a brass strip on the side of the socket(Gnd). Even with dual filament bulb only one filament is on.

I will stop in some salvage yards that have several 80's vintage Ford cars & trucks and see if I can get the older socket.