View Full Version : Started work on my 84 SVO today... Found out Im missing the ECU...
67Mach1
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Ok, so I think i'm now offically the most gullable guy in the world. I purchased an 84 SVO about 1.5 years back as a project or parts car. It was wrecked and although the current owner didnt wreck it he is a trusted person in the local car scene. He said when he got the car he cranked it up, it smoked so he turnd it off. THat he too had bought it for parts and just Brought it home. When I picked it up I never put a battery on it.
Today, I'm cleaning it out as I've got it up for sale myself, but I wanted to put a battery on it and turn it over even considering dropping the tank and cleaning that up too.
WOrking my way from the back of the car foward I installed the tail lights, cleaned out misc outher junk, but when I got to the front passenger side floor board I noticed the kickpanel was loose and the ECU was gone.
SO he either knowingly took it off and didnt tell me or he never had this car running... Either way I feel duped. Especially since i reached out to him today and so far no reply.
Where would I source a replacement computer module that would not stick it to me?
THanks,
THomas
Desert Patina
02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I just had a PJ up on ebay, dangit. There's a PC1 up for sale on craigslist near me. But then again I'm not sure of which of either you might need, I don't know the 84's so well.
Ford Builder
02-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Mike SVO may have what you need , I would contact him .
67Mach1
02-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I just sat here thinking about it and I do believe the other 84 I have, with out engine or transmission, may still have a computer in it. I know its a long shot but worth checking out when I go to the farm this next weekend.
I'm such a newbe to this I didnt realize there were different computers for different years. GUess wth the changes for more HP came computer changes too. Oh well, once I find out this coming weeknd I'll let the board know. There is a buyer interested in the car also. I'll just let him know the situation he may still be interested even w/out the ECU.
MikeFleming
02-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Most 84 models came with a TE. They show up on occasion, so keep an eye out. or you could get a reman one from most auto parts stores.
Chalky
02-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I've got a TE, ZBA and PJ kicking around. If you get stuck let me know. I'm using them as bookends:):):)
67Mach1
02-10-2013, 03:58 AM
333233333334
Just a few photos of what I'm working with.
67Mach1
02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I have spoken to the Prior Owner. He was out of town and got in touch with me today. He is looking through his parts and will locate the unit if he has it. Apparnetly the car was parked at a shop for soem time after his purchase and he thinks if he does not have it it may have been taken while there. Hopefully we are going to be able to get together later this week with the ECU. He was apologetic and did not know it was missing.
Ford Builder
02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Looks like its been into fender bender on the right side.
in2fords
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
naw, just got sad one day and started to frown
(ducking under the ban hammer)
Ford Builder
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Your going to have more careful, thats got to hurt !
67Mach1
02-12-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm sure this did hurt the guy that was driving. She was wrecked long before i picked it up. right now I'm trying to see if I can get it to run and I'll deal with body and frame after.
I've also got this one and If I keep the project going I could swap lots of parts to make a good one.
Ideally someone will buy both of these cars from me and build it themselves. I've now got two 86's and one runs well.
brownsvo
02-12-2013, 05:57 AM
i just switched to an la2. If you're in no rush next time i go to austin i can drop my 85 ecu off for you.
67Mach1
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
i just switched to an la2. If you're in no rush next time i go to austin i can drop my 85 ecu off for you.
THanks Zach, I'll let you know what happens this weekend.
Thomas
67Mach1
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
The Car at the farm had a TE in it. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and ended up leaveing it in the car... How do I make sure of what EEC I am looking for? is it marked somehow on the car itself?
Thanks,
67Mach1
07-27-2014, 04:54 AM
I'm back again finally got re-interested in my SVO's Sold both of the 84's in the past year or so. Will be trying to sell one of my 86's before this year is out. Hope to fix my running 86 up a bit and actually enjoy the car instead of having an insurance payment that sits in the garage.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.