PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Voltage Regulator

Jack B
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
How do you know when it's going bad? Will all electrical guages stop working or can you get false readings? My temp gauge does not move off cold. My oil pressure gauge is on the low side. I got the SVO last year and I am now just getting time to work on it. Should I just go ahead and get new sensors? The only gauges I planned on adding are boost & wideband (on order :) ).

thanks

blueboss
02-22-2013, 04:54 AM
The temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge can be tested. Pull the sensor lead off the sensor. Jumper it to a good ground then turn the key on. They should both go full scale somewhere between 5-10 seconds. More than 15 seconds or they don't move at all and it's time to replace the ICVR or your wiring is bad somewhere.

Jack B
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks. Will check that. My gauges worked perfect today. So, I have an intermittent problem.

MikeFleming
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
The stock ICVRs are a mechanical relay and are well known to be erratic. The newer ones are electronic and much more stable.

rodster
02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
My fuel gauge shows one level when the key is on ACCY with the engine off but when I start it, the gauge drops a bit. I made the mod to the electronic version several years ago but it never fixed the issue. I just have to remember to check the fuel level before I start the car. ;) Some day I'll get around to checking into it more, maybe this spring when I hope to get the car back on the road after lengthy hiatus.