PDA

View Full Version : Hatch strut replacement

dagenham
05-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I guess the hatch struts are going bad after seven years.
But it always seemed like the ones I got were never quite right. They held the hatch up alright but it always seemed heavy to lift up.
Does anyone here have an absolute for sure correct part number for the hatch strut, and is there a different one just for the SVO's verus the standard LX/GT hatch?????

I dont know if the cold temps this winter ruined them or what but all 3 fox bodies I have all need them replaced all of a sudden. The other 2 have louvers on them so a heavier lifting set would be nice for them too.

Patrick
05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Some parts places used to ask if it's an SVO or not, which would lead you to a different part number with a higher charge in the hatch strut. I don't know if they still do that.

k98dave
05-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Far as I can tell the hatch struts are all the same, however make sure you have them installed correctly.
I had that problem, hatch was hard to open like the struts were resisting until the hatch was better than 1/2 way open then stayed up OK. I just happened to have my 93 Cobra next to the SVO with both hatches open and noticed the SVO struts were on backwards. I turned than around and now hatch comes up easily with no problems.

Lanes84s
05-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I bought a set off of Rockauto for both my SVO and my GT (with louvers) and they are both slow to hold up but hold up fine. When I turn the key, I pull up and it takes a bit to get it up, after halfway it just goes. I removed the fin and put a different fin on the SVO a month or two ago (From the bi-wing to a raised GT wing with the break light see my pics on f-book) and it's all the same so that's not it. I feel like they are both the same and that they are just slow :P. Cost like $20 per strut I believe, we got them on sale for 15 a pair :o

dagenham
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
When I turn the key, I pull up and it takes a bit to get it up, after halfway it just goes.

That is the way mine are too.

86SVOwner
05-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I purchased two Sachs SG314001 Lift Support from Amazon last year. Give the hatch a slight lift and it goes right up and stays up strong. I highly recommend them. They are about $18 each.

Lanes84s
05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks 86SVOnwer, here's the part number exactly on rockauto for $10 less :P....ok nvm, you'll have to search it yourself (URL doesn't change per item). Go into Rockauto.com and search that part number, comes up for $8.55 and some shipping most likely :). I overspent clearly ;D. I don't think think it's suppose to just be a turn key and it pops open just like that...those hatches are incredibly heavy...Why do you want it so easy to open?

dagenham
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
At this point its not a matter of easy opening its that I want it to stay up when I open the hatch.

k98dave
05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
With good struts installed correctly it will open easily and also stay up

in2fords
05-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks 86SVOnwer, here's the part number exactly on rockauto for $10 less :P....ok nvm, you'll have to search it yourself (URL doesn't change per item). Go into Rockauto.com and search that part number, comes up for $8.55 and some shipping most likely :). I overspent clearly ;D. I don't think think it's suppose to just be a turn key and it pops open just like that...those hatches are incredibly heavy...Why do you want it so easy to open?

I just looked and with shipping to So. Oregon its like $32 for 2, still way cheaper then Napa.