PDA

View Full Version : A/C Inop

dznj
06-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm in the process of "freshening" my 85.5 SVO. The last couple of days I have been putting back all the A/C components. It hasn't worked since I owned the car, so I'm not exactly sure what is/was good or bad.

I replaced a couple of the lines, changed all the o-rings, added PAG to the compressor, and pulled a vacuum on the system for 20 minutes using a professional A/C system. No problem. I then tried to charge the high and low side with 2 pounds of r134.

When I started the car back up and turned on the A/C, the compressor never comes on. I pulled the 2 pin connector from the dryer, and was going to the connector to make sure the compressor is good, but there is no power at that connector at all.

Any thoughts of where to look next?

Thanks in advance!

D

Meotchh
06-01-2013, 05:20 PM
If you short those pins at the harness plug, your fan should turn on. That sensor is only sensing pressure in the system which shorts those two pins sending a signal to the controller to turn on the fan.

k98dave
06-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Did you check to see if the compressor clutch is working? Even with the car off putting 12 v across the two pins on the compressor should cause the clutch to pull in.

svopony
06-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Here is a question ..........
does the fan controller relay under the dash have something to do with the operation of the A/C ?
the fan controller on my 86 works when it wants to and the A/C does the same, that is why I put an secondary relay in to control the fan.

Bar

MikeFleming
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
On AC-equipped cars, there are two relays in the fan controller relay under the dash: One is for the coolant temp switch and the other for the AC clutch. Either will engage the cooling fan.