PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

stockman1
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
With AC on alternator belt squeals. I have loosened the bolts and put more tension on the alternator belts. A few days later belt squeals again. Only happens when running AC. Alternator going? Belts bad? Please comment?

MikeFleming
06-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Driving the AC from the crank or water pump pulley?

stockman1
06-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Driving the AC from the crank or water pump pulley?
Looks like its on the water pump pulley? Is that correct?

MikeFleming
06-30-2013, 02:00 PM
There was a change over between 1984 and 1985+ engines. The early engines used a 3-groove crank pulley with a 2-groove water pump pulley and drive the AC from the outermost (third) groove on the crank. Tensioning of the AC belt was totally independent of the crank/water pump/alt/PS belts. IMHO, the right way to do it.

In 1985 and later - until the serpentine belt system arrived in the '87 TC - they changed to a 2-groove crank and 3-groove water pump pulley, driving the AC off the water pumps third groove. This places ALL of the alt, PS, crank AND AC loads onto the friction level of the water pump pulley. The single AC belt has ~180 degrees of contact with the water pump pulley groove while the 2 alt/PS belts have less than 90. So it's fairly common to have the AC cause the two crank/alt/PS belts slip on the water pump pulley.

Solutions? Proper surface finish on the pulley groove surfaces (not polished, not painted, just semi-rough steel) and new belts at the proper tension. or convert to a 35 year newer system with R134 such as a Sanden compressor and then deal with the belt, bracket & hose issues.

Of course the AC could be under an extra heavy load (high head pressures), or it could be going out (bearings) and need more power to turn it.

stockman1
06-30-2013, 04:05 PM
As you can see from my pic it's the latter of your descriptions. After the motor warms it quiets down. I will just deal with it until fall.

MikeFleming
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Keep a spare set of belts in the boot. And the tools to change them.

SVO4PWR2
06-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks like going to need new belts.
The belts shouldn't sit in the groove but ride a little higher.

-RICH-

stockman1
07-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Looks like going to need new belts.
The belts shouldn't sit in the groove but ride a little higher.

-RICH-Rich, Mike all three belts went yesterday on my short commute home. The AC first then 1 of 2 of the Alternator belts than the last 1/2 mile no belts at all. Shut the motor down around the corner and then dead stick into my drive. stressfull!

MikeFleming
07-09-2013, 07:48 AM
You'll need to add belts to your maintenance list. Might also check to see that the water pump, alternator and PS pump spin freely. Repair/replace as needed.

It's OK to dead-stick every now and then. Stay in practice.

stockman1
07-10-2013, 06:01 AM
You'll need to add belts to your maintenance list. Might also check to see that the water pump, alternator and PS pump spin freely. Repair/replace as needed.

It's OK to dead-stick every now and then. Stay in practice.I am on my 3rd trip to the autoparts store anyone know the correct belts for an 86 with AC no smog pump?

stockman1
07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I have the luck of the Irish with auto parts. 5 trips to orielly. Got it right after a long day. Another 15 min job stymied by the parts counter.