PDA

View Full Version : krinkle painting valve cover & intercooler

JKLedbetter
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
After one thing lead to another, which lead to another, which lead to another, I wound up stripping and repainting the valve cover and intercooler. The krinkle paint seemed to work really well.

After stripping all the paint off I noticed that the top of the intercooler was clear coated. I suppose this is because the hood gasket rubs on it. Since the other unpainted areas were smaller and closer to painted areas, if they were clear coated I would have stripped it off along with the paint without noticing. So I'm wondering if they might have been clear coated originally.

I can still easily clear coat the top of the intercooler, but the other areas would be much more problematic.

Is there anything I should do to protect the bare areas, like maybe wax them?

-Kennon

notacarlo
07-17-2013, 09:22 AM
After painting the intercooler, I would on occasion use a metal polish to clean the "stripes". I also had painted mine with wrinkle paint and I like the look. The mating surface on the top of the intercooler I would just wipe off when doing general housekeeping. That surface should remain as flat and debris free as possible.

k98dave
07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
"Is there anything I should do to protect the bare areas, like maybe wax them?"

High temp clear coat works great.

Kendal Coker
07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
I also use high temp clear.

bluemax
07-18-2013, 02:23 AM
I also use high temp clear.

Ditto

Without the protection of the clear coat, the aluminum will eventually start to "corrode" and get chalky.