PDA

View Full Version : Another A/C question

k98dave
07-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Ok I have replaced my compressor and had all lines checked (OK) and all new o rings. I have Freeze 12 cans and just realized the threaded nipple is smaller than my recharge hose set up. I picked up one of the side tap tools that has both r12 & 134 threaded ports with schrader valves. The low pres. line also has the schrader valve. Question is what hose do I need to make the connection between the two? The hoses I have seen have a schrader valve on one end and a valve plunger on the other end. Looks like I need a hose with a valve plunger on both ends to make this work??

SVOC
07-27-2013, 03:18 PM
On the R12 system you will use a hose that only connects to the schrader valve, later in the early to mid 80's MFG's starting making the low and high side different sizes so you wouldn't blow up a can of refrigerant trying to fill on the high side of the system.

This plunger style you speak of sounds like R134a, if you are going that route (best choice) is get a new drier with a descant of HX7, and retrofit connection kit, pull a vacuum for 30min and then charge the system up adding about 8% more to the R12 capacity (2.25 cans), all the while watching the high side closely, anything more than 220lbs-225lbs at an idle, with the ambient temp being 95*-100* is more than fine, do not over fill the system or it will not cool properly.

If your compressor crapped out, I hope you back flushed the condenser with mineral spirits and blew through it backwards to flush out and dry out the condenser, and the same with the liquid line if not replaced it since the orifice tube is not serviceable in this system.

Did you also add 1oz of oil back to the system? PAG for 134a and Ester for R12

SVOC
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Wait I just went back and re-read that, are you talking about the can tap has different threads?

MikeFleming
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
This plunger style you speak of sounds like R134a, if you are going that route (best choice) is get a new drier with a descant of HX7, and retrofit connection kit, pull a vacuum for 30min and then charge the system up adding about 8% more to the R12 capacity (2.25 cans), all the while watching the high side closely, anything more than 220lbs-225lbs at an idle, with the ambient temp being 95*-100* is more than fine, do not over fill the system or it will not cool properly. Hmmm ... all the R12-R134a conversions I've seen use significantly LESS R134a than the older R12 system.

For example the stock SVO R12 system uses 40 ounces of R12 for a complete fill. The retrofit R134a kit that I installed specifies 16 ounces - less than half.

k98dave
07-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Guys, Think this has gotten off subject so let me clarify....

This is all stock system with new HR980 compressor, system has been flushed, all new seals installed and held vac for 2 days now.The Freeze 12 (R12 replacement) works much better than 134 in these old system especially the HR980 which doesn't get along with 134. However, what I'm talking about is the charging hose to connect the can tap to the cars suction line. The can tap is new and has two size threaded connections, one to work with R12 hoses (smaller thread) and one for 134 with large thread. Both of these have schrader valves as does the suction line connection on the car (also the small size)..... so the hose I need would have to have plungers on both ends to work!

k98dave
07-29-2013, 05:12 AM
"I have Freeze 12 cans and just realized the threaded nipple on the can is smaller than my recharge hose set up."

Looks like this is what I will need to fit the Freeze 12 cans.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BE75BZUPL._SX385_.jpg

k98dave
08-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Well this finally arrived (amazon.com) just in time for the 105 deg days we are having now, however my relief was short lived as it didn't work out very well. This charging kit requires original schrader valve be removed from suction line service port on the car and the brass fitting with its own schrader valve be installed. Everything worked OK as I charged the system with 2 cans of Freeze 12 and had 48 deg air from the vents. When I removed the hose from the fitting the schrader vave blew out along with $100. worth of Freeze 12. Needless to say I'm white hot pissed!

I removed the fitting and re installed the original schrader valve in the suction side service port.

Does anybody make the correct size charge hose for the old R12 small diameter suction hose service port???

k98dave
08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
OK I give up, Wound up getting a new condenser after discovering a cracked tube. Got correct charging hoses and purged re charged the system only to find the liq line orifice seems to be bad as its building up too much head pressure and the line starts to frost over and the compressor kicks out every 10 sec or so. Are there replacement liq lines with orifice tubes available? The ones shown for 2.3 Mustangs don't appear to be formed the same.