PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge and temp gauge

dagenham
08-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Is there a constant voltage regulator in the dash that controls just these two gauges??
The last two weeks or so it has been extra warm and I noticed that my fuel gauge was acting eratic and the temp gauge would go to about halfway. It normaly barely gets the warm.

Bob Holmes
08-01-2013, 09:56 PM
There is a voltage regulator, and you're describing the classic symptoms of it craping out.

SVOC
08-02-2013, 03:22 AM
It's called an IVR (Internal Voltage Regulator) on the back of the gauge cluster, it's silver. rectangular, and has a flat tab with a small bolt holding it down.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//947/large/3040186_bwd_r306_pri_larg.jpg

MikeFleming
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM
It controls three: fuel, temp and oil pressure. The Boost gauge (on the SVO) is mechanical).

18lbs
08-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Holy crap you guys are smart. Who would have known that??

MikeFleming
08-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Holy crap you guys are smart. Who would have known that?? True, we are smart.

Most anyone that has ever seen this issue would have known that. Which is pretty much everyone that has owned a Fox for more than a year.

18lbs
08-03-2013, 02:25 AM
True, we are smart.

Most anyone that has ever seen this issue would have known that. Which is pretty much everyone that has owned a Fox for more than a year.

Guess I better go buy one then because I've been 6 years without replacing it yet.

MikeFleming
08-03-2013, 06:50 AM
In the first few months after I bought my new 84 SVO, I had noticed wierd instances of the three gauges indicating higher than usual on a few occasions. Naturally I thought the coolant temp being high was an indication of a problem, but that tended to disagree with higher oil pressure. And at the same time gaining 1/4 tank of petrol, seemed overall quite amazing. This little 4-banger, even though it was overheating, was getting phenomenal gas mileage! But by the time I stopped for petrol, it had managed to suck that extra quarter tank out like magic.

However, overall, these variable gauge pointings were far batter than any GM or Dodge gauges at the time - where if the ignition was on, the gauge was at half scale. They never varied.

In any case it's not a critical thing unless you're one of those worry warts that constantly watches the gauges in anticipation of the next engine explosion.

dagenham
08-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I figured there was one there but it didnt seem to affect the oil pressure gauge that I noticed.
I have never had this problem with a fox body, just my older cars.
I just wanted confirmation that was the culprit part.