PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber hood

stott
09-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Does anyone make one for the SVO?

brownsvo
09-19-2013, 12:27 PM
fiberglass is pretty dam close. Ok, not as light, but not as heavy as the stock hood.

MikeFleming
09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I've never seen a (stock replacement) CF hood for the SVO.

stockman1
09-19-2013, 05:55 PM
fiberglass is pretty dam close. Ok, not as light, but not as heavy as the stock hood.stock hood feels like its dipped in kryptonite? Man it's heavy!

Mike Croke
09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
You might try calling Maier Racing (http://www.maierracing.com). They list an '86 SVO hood in their catalog. Most items are available in fiberglass or CF but it will take a conversation with them instead of a mouse click. I have here at my house a couple Maier CF hoods with stock profiles (no cowl rise, no scoops) for my wife's '85 GT and our '84 Capri Turbo RS.

MikeFleming
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Stock hood, with paint, pad, light, latch, charge cooler seal and scoop trim ring weighs in at 50.4 Lbs. The GFRP hood from HO Fibertrends weights in at 25.1, unpainted, bare (no pad, light, trim ring, etc.). So it's about a 25 Lb savings.

Meotchh
09-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Stock hood, with paint, pad, light, latch, charge cooler seal and scoop trim ring weighs in at 5.04 Lbs.

Wow, I coulda sworn it was heavier than 6lbs.

stockman1
09-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Stock hood, with paint, pad, light, latch, charge cooler seal and scoop trim ring weighs in at 5.04 Lbs. The GFRP hood from HO Fibertrends weights in at 25.1, unpainted, bare (no pad, light, trim ring, etc.). So it's about a 25 Lb savings.mike is your decimal in the correct place on the stock hood?

mrzw70
09-20-2013, 04:43 AM
Nope. ;)

MikeFleming
09-20-2013, 08:14 AM
DOH! Bloody keyboards! They should know what I wanted to type.

50.4 Lbs for stock hood, complete. Updated previous post.

svslow
09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Stock hood, with paint, pad, light, latch, charge cooler seal and scoop trim ring weighs in at 50.4 Lbs. The GFRP hood from HO Fibertrends weights in at 25.1, unpainted, bare (no pad, light, trim ring, etc.). So it's about a 25 Lb savings.
It's ridiculous the things you know.

MikeFleming
09-20-2013, 11:18 AM
^
Now you know why I have a shipping scale (for parts) and corner scales (for cars) in the shop.

Necessary tools to get an SVO down to 2807 Lbs wet.

svslow
09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
It's all coming together now. Haha.

Laredo
09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
^
Now you know why I have a shipping scale (for parts) and corner scales (for cars) in the shop.

Necessary tools to get an SVO down to 2807 Lbs wet.

The "tool" I'm using to reduce weight is a treadmill, working on that extra weight between the seat and the steering wheel. I figure it's cheaper than a fiberglass hood and light weight wheels. So far down 10lbs, 17 if you go back to Jan. Although....my stomach is not rotating mass, so I might have to still go with the wheels. :)

Seriously, Back on topic - had considered the fiberglass hood but never really looked into the numbers. Surprised it's not more difference. But I guess every little bit helps when you start adding all up.

Mike Croke
09-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Depends on what you do with the car, but Maier will make them to the weight you want. They stated they can get their CF/Kevlar hoods to just under 10 lbs but do not recommend them for street cars.

MikeFleming
09-21-2013, 11:27 AM
The "tool" I'm using to reduce weight is a treadmill, working on that extra weight between the seat and the steering wheel. I figure it's cheaper than a fiberglass hood and light weight wheels. Granted, that's always a good thing but I expect you'd have trouble loosing 250 #. Additionally the driver weight reduction is from center-mass on the car, which usually is the last place you want to take it from.

They stated they can get their CF/Kevlar hoods to just under 10 lbs but do not recommend them for street cars. The HO gfrp SVO hood I have is almost an exact replacement for the factory steel hood - has all the bracing reinforcement structure on the underside, full scoop pass-through, mounting bobbins for the factory hood latch components, etc. They do (used to?) sell just the outer skin with no "frame" underneath. It's lighter but it requires retaining mounts/pins at four corners.

stott
09-21-2013, 02:27 PM
yea i feel like an unpainted CF hood would look pretty mean on the 84 svo

MikeFleming
09-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Unpainted cf doesn't last long when exposed to the elements. It at least needs a UV-resistant clear.

stott
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
You might try calling Maier Racing (http://www.maierracing.com). They list an '86 SVO hood in their catalog. Most items are available in fiberglass or CF but it will take a conversation with them instead of a mouse click. I have here at my house a couple Maier CF hoods with stock profiles (no cowl rise, no scoops) for my wife's '85 GT and our '84 Capri Turbo RS.

Any idea how different the hood fitment is on the 85 GT vs. the SVO?

http://i.imgur.com/g9ftvJK.jpg

Besides that part that dips down (which covers a good portion of the intercooler) it looks like it would line up correctly on the fascia.

I think this could look pretty sweet, as it's not really a show car.

might end up with a look similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/yhQ83kX.jpg

Any one experimented with a 85 gt hood on an SVO before?

baltimucho
11-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Any idea how different the hood fitment is on the 85 GT vs. the SVO?
Any one experimented with a 85 gt hood on an SVO before?

The non-SVO hood would have to be lengthened about 2 inches.

SVOC and I have gone the other way... SVO hoods on Four-eye front clips.

http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-My-84-88-to-86-Project

You'll see by a couple of the pictures that the 85 GT hood would be short, not to mention the curvature around the lights and the extra material covering the grill.

You would probably be better of using an 87+ "Aero" hood. My SVO had an Aero front clip and an SVO hood. The curves around the lights had to be massaged and trimmed a bit, but the length was perfect.

::m::

stott
11-24-2013, 10:59 AM
The non-SVO hood would have to be lengthened about 2 inches.

SVOC and I have gone the other way... SVO hoods on Four-eye front clips.

http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-My-84-88-to-86-Project

You'll see by a couple of the pictures that the 85 GT hood would be short, not to mention the curvature around the lights and the extra material covering the grill.

You would probably be better of using an 87+ "Aero" hood. My SVO had an Aero front clip and an SVO hood. The curves around the lights had to be massaged and trimmed a bit, but the length was perfect.

but from the other way around, i.e. a 85 GT hood on a 84 SVO front fascia/clip??

the curvature of the lights looks pretty near identical, it's just the SVO hood has the longer tongue, which is not really even necessary since it is blocking a portion of the intercooler.??

baltimucho
11-24-2013, 12:41 PM
but from the other way around, i.e. a 85 GT hood on a 84 SVO front fascia/clip??

It would be a much easier modification. The SVO fascia was the precursor to the Aero fascia. It might fit without issue, except for some fitment around the lights.

quikup
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I was at an all Mustang show in Ashville Oh. last Saturday and met the owner of HO Fibertrends a company that produces fiberglass panels for various Mustangs. It turns out he owns 4 SVO's apparently most in need of some repair. At any rate I was able to see one of their hoods on a Capri .. the fit and finish was impressive. He mentioned the SVO hood will take 33lbs. off the nose. I have no connection to this company other than we both reside in Ohio. Anyone interested can look at the website HO fibertrends.com.

MikeFleming
06-04-2014, 01:18 PM
He mentioned the SVO hood will take 33lbs. off the nose. I haver an HO Fibertrends gfrp hood on my SVO. My original SVO hood, with scoop, latch, pad, light, old paint and associated latch hardware weighed in at 50.5 Lbs. The new, bare, unpainted HO gfrp hood was 25.1. So after paint, scoop, hood pad, etc. there's maybe 22-23 Lbs diff. Definitely not 33 Lbs diff.

Unless they SERIOUSLY changed their product. 8 Lbs is a HUGE difference out of 25.

quikup
06-05-2014, 08:43 AM
True dat, only repeating what the dude said. Don't know if something changed in mfg.