PDA

View Full Version : Final drive ratio



stockman1
10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I have a 3.55 final gear and a T5 trans. At redline in 4th (1:1) 6500 rpm I am at approx. 131 mph. I was thinking of going to 3.31 gear and calculations say that I should hit 140 mph at redline. Any downside to this? Comments?

brsvo
10-13-2013, 03:46 PM
What's wrong with fifth? That's why their called T5's! My calculations say with a 373 final drive I can hit 140 in 5th.

stockman1
10-13-2013, 04:10 PM
What's wrong with fifth? That's why their called T5's! My calculations say with a 373 final drive I can hit 140 in 5th.I was always told to stay out of 5th on the track. Its overdrive & I could break the gear at high rpm?

MikeFleming
10-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Perhaps if you're pushing >350HP. Not otherwise.

stockman1
10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Perhaps if you're pushing >350HP. Not otherwise.saturday dynojet run at brothers performance approx 395 rwhp @ 6500 rpm. New forged internals, added intercooler, etc, New redline is 7000. Running very rich. Video on svcop FB page.

MikeFleming
10-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Then you might have enough torque to cause problems with the stock T5 5th gear set.

I installed a 0.82 fifth gear set in my 3.35:1 T5 for my 2.5L engine that had coarser teeth with more engagement depth. And I now can't for the life of me recall the name of the place where I got it - husband/wife team small busness that's big into WC T5 parts and service.

I hate it when that happens.

Kendal Coker
10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Then you might have enough torque to cause problems with the stock T5 5th gear set.

I installed a 0.82 fifth gear set in my 3.35:1 T5 for my 2.5L engine that had coarser teeth with more engagement depth. And I now can't for the life of me recall the name of the place where I got it - husband/wife team small busness that's big into WC T5 parts and service.

I hate it when that happens.

How about this place http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

MikeFleming
10-14-2013, 05:40 PM
That's it!

Thanks Kendal!

SVO4PWR2
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Video on svcop FB page.

can ya link it here please

-RICH-

brsvo
10-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for setting me straight about 5th not being strong enough. I had never heard that before. Bruce