PDA

View Full Version : Factory paint quality



rodster
11-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Seems there were some issues on the paint line around Oct 20, 1983. Found this under the spare tire of my car.

Not to knock the SVO but I bought an 83 TBird, built in Lorain Oh, and the fit/finish, paint and overall quality is much better than my SVO.

I think Ford really wanted to get the 'new' TBird right.

5634

Chalky
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
I found one of those in my t-top car. I've also seen some original paint cars that had some......dubious finish quality.

Patrick
11-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Several new SVO's required "detailing" at the body shop once they arrived at the dealerships.

MikeFleming
11-15-2013, 06:16 AM
The SVO got the same Earl Scheib-quality paint as all the other Mustangs. The Thunderbird was an up-scale car (at the time) and got better paint.

stockman1
11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
The SVO got the same Earl Scheib-quality paint as all the other Mustangs. The Thunderbird was an up-scale car (at the time) and got better paint.you should have told me that before I sent my car back to the painter 3 times

MikeFleming
11-15-2013, 10:06 AM
^
You woulda used Uncle Earl instead??

stockman1
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
^
You woulda used Uncle Earl instead??yes but only $99 dollar!

SVOBoyd
04-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Looks like I'm about a year late on this thread. I bought a new 86 1C back in 87 and got I think like $500 or $1000 back from Ford for the shitty paint job, it had a lot of orange peal on the lower part of the doors. I was told that I could either have the dealer repaint the car or take the cash. I took the cash because I had seen the work the dealer did on an insurance job for my mother and figured they would make the SVO look worse!

Meotchh
04-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Just sold my original paint 86 1C. It included several runs in the paint in both door jams, spots on the core support where items were installed before all paint had properly cured, partial painted areas around the passenger fender & shock tower, & even an area at the passenger sail panel that looked very rough. Some of those poor quality issues no longer exist, but today's new car paint still has its flaws.

stockman1
04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Just sold my original paint 86 1C. It included several runs in the paint in both door jams, spots on the core support where items were installed before all paint had properly cured, partial painted areas around the passenger fender & shock tower, & even an area at the passenger sail panel that looked very rough. Some of those poor quality issues no longer exist, but today's new car paint still has its flaws.So maybe my painters excuse for wanting to not over restore is legit?