PDA

View Full Version : New Ignition Switch Bad

SVOBoyd
11-18-2013, 08:46 AM
I had my dash apart to repalce the heater core and while I had everything apart I decided to put in a new ignition switch. Last night I went to crank the engine over and as soon as I turned the key to start I heard a pop and no electrical power, the whole car went dead. It was fine with the key in the on postion, it happend when I turned the key all the way to crank over the engine. Does this sound like a bad ignition switch? The new one I put in was from NAPA. Thanks!

MikeFleming
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Take it out and inspect. Should have a year warranty on it.

SVOBoyd
11-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Take it out and inspect. Should have a year warranty on it.

Mike thanks, I checked it out last night and the switch is fine. The cause was my bone-headedness and I'm sure you will ban me.

I had the battery cables unhooked while I was replacing the heater core. I just set the cables on the terminals (rather than tightening them) to test everything out and that was fine for running the radio and interior lights but when I went to crank over the engine there was too much current draw and I lost power. I found this out when I measured only 6 volts between the postive battery terminal and the starter solenoid! Go ahead ban me I can take it.

dznj
11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I vote for a ban only until your next post. Man enough to go on record with his own mistake. I salute you.

MikeFleming
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
The cause was my bone-headedness and I'm sure you will ban me .
As requested, you are banned (until your next post).

Let that be a lesson to you!

I salute you.
:like3:

SVOBoyd
11-20-2013, 07:43 AM
I vote for a ban only until your next post. Man enough to go on record with his own mistake. I salute you.

Thanks, I really considered just saying it was a bad ignition switch!

MikeFleming
11-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks, I really considered just saying it was a bad ignition switch! See the thread about SVO Addiction.