PDA

View Full Version : Marchal Lamps and Covers

rodster
12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
For anyone who bought an SVO new, or has an original car, what color fog lamp cover (black or grey) did it when delivered and did it have white lettering or not? I have seen magazine photos with no white lettering but never read about 'unique' covers for the SVO.

TheSVOTrust
12-04-2013, 06:25 AM
7 covers fit the 750 light - one is correct for OEM SVO. Black, "cat with eyes" MARCHAL (no Ford part number) no whitehttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/svo2scj/photo_zps124c4d84.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/svo2scj/media/photo_zps124c4d84.jpg.html)

MikeFleming
12-04-2013, 08:08 AM
My 84 had black covers. Don't recall any white lettering. They're in a box somewhere - haven't seen them in decades.

Chuck
12-04-2013, 12:16 PM
My 86 had black covers but I added the white by painting them sometime in the late 80s...otherwise black.

rodster
12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Interesting. I wonder if the black covers were used on another application (Ford wasn't the only car to use Marchals) and sourced specifically for the SVO since the early trim was black?

I know the engineers were trying to make the car appearance unique so maybe it was a small detail they thought of?

FoxBuddy
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
My 86 had black covers but I added the white by painting them sometime in the late 80s...otherwise black.

I did this to mine recently thinking I was doing the right thing. Someone corrected me on the white lettering not being correct for the SVO. I will take it off sometime in the future.

Ahh, the things you learn along the way on a long journey....

bluemax
12-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Interesting. I wonder if the black covers were used on another application (Ford wasn't the only car to use Marchals) and sourced specifically for the SVO since the early trim was black?

Yes, the turbo coupe to name one. The service part number is actually a E4ZZ, while the GT covers are E3SZ. I have an NOS set of both for comparison.

rodster
12-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Yes, the turbo coupe to name one. The service part number is actually a E4ZZ, while the GT covers are E3SZ. I have an NOS set of both for comparison.

Cool! Could you post a picture of the two covers side by side when you get a chance? Did the TC have the white lettering? I know on early 83TC mule cars the white covers were used. Looks ok on a red car and I have a NOS set in case I decide I like them better then the grey/black.

My SVO covers were missing and the covers on my 83 TC were so well used you couldn't tell the original color!

Thanks for the info.

rodster
12-20-2013, 08:24 PM
A NOS pair just sold on ebay for $152.50 + $5.60 shipping.

Was thinking about getting them but other things have a higher priority right now.

FoxBuddy
12-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Was thinking about getting them but other things have a higher priority right now.

Thanks for the pictures!

bluemax
12-21-2013, 03:08 AM

I was watching the auction out of curiosity to see what they would go for... a few years ago, these would have been well over $200. While there are plenty of used "correct" covers out there, you don't see an NOS set come available very often.

Nice buy for someone. ;)

rodster
12-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures!

Courtesy of the seller on ebay. :)

I was watching the auction out of curiosity to see what they would go for... a few years ago, these would have been well over $200. While there are plenty of used "correct" covers out there, you don't see an NOS set come available very often.

Nice buy for someone. ;)

I agree. I was thinking about seriously going after them but since I don't plan on a concours restoration on my SVO I figured I don't need to add to my collection. ;)

Of course, a few days from now I'll be saying I should have bought them. :D