PDA

View Full Version : Dead car -no lights, dash or cabin-no start

94VERTiGO
03-14-2014, 06:50 PM
I went to leave work about 2 weeks ago. Turn key to start, click, everything goes dead, no dash lights, no cabin lights. Completely dead, door locks would not even work. I turned the key off and on a couple times got dash lights, so I push start-car and drive it home. Thinking battery was dead, I placed on charger overnight. Next morning turn key, click, Dead everything. Took battery to autozone they tested and said it was good. I went home put in battery, turn key vroom, no problem for 2 weeks until last night. Dead again.
So, I left it at work and plan to go look tomorrow in the day light and see what is up.
Stock daily driver no history of electrical demons, no mods, no work done on it in past 2 years.
Any suggestions on what to look for?
Thank you,
Pat

k98dave
03-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Ignition switch, (not the key but the switch body would be my first guess, they are known to separate.

Then starter solenoid?

MikeFleming
03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
When the issue comes up next time, see if the headlights work. Lights do not go through the ignition switch. No lights? Then check battery cables, especially the ground cable.

If lights work, then look to ignition switch.

94VERTiGO
03-15-2014, 06:23 AM
Thanks, I figure grounds or ignition switch. Good to know about the lights, never would have thought of that.

94VERTiGO
03-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. Went to the car opened door, no cabin lights, pulled on headlights and they did not work. Hooked up jumper cables and the headlights immediately came on. After a few minutes it started, went to Autozone for diagnostics and turned out to be voltage regulator. Back to running fine again. I was concerned at how 'dead' the car was, but the battery still tests good.
Thanks for the advice,
Pat