PDA

View Full Version : The True 85-1/2 Gray Color and Dew Wipes

Otto Man
03-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi everybody
In a couple weeks I'm gonna get my window frames, quarter windows, and bumpers painted for the first time since 85.
I have a set of NOS Dew Wipes for proper color, so I have a visual correct color. (ie. paint codes?) Is there anything I can tell the paint guy (does great work)? I'm gonna get him to put the new dew wipes on. Will he need instructions or will I offend him? This is a 1st class shop.
Chris

Otto Man
04-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Hmmm
Pat and all
Should I give this paint guy your DIY paper on replacing the dew wipes, or do good body shops know this stuff?
Thanks
And Rose and I are so in to the Ferris Wheel ride...at night please.

Chalky
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Are they going to remove and replace the window run channels as well whilst doing it?? There is a PPG paint code for the trim paint, just not sure what it is:):):)

Raven855
04-03-2014, 05:42 PM
SEM 39153 Charcoal
or
PPG code DCC 33717

Chalky
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
The DCC 33717, is that the one that needs a flattening agent??

Also, Otto, have them mix a urethane paint, the lacquer version is terrible for stone chips.

Otto Man
04-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Does anyone remember if the bumper "grey" was flat-flat, or was it kind of satin. I remember waxing mine and it eventually was a satin look. Mr Mansoon or Ken Potter might remember.

Chris

Otto Man
04-05-2014, 03:57 PM
How difficult is it to remove the quarter window frames?
And are new window "fuzz" channels available. This would be a good time to replace? I have heard if they are OK leave them alone. New ones tend to tax the motors. Just what I heard.
Any thoughts?
Chris

Meotchh
04-05-2014, 04:50 PM
The trim can be a little tricky if you've never done it. The little clips can be accessed with a pick or similar thin metal tool. Not sure if anyone has put together a tutorial on that? I would take pics of said clips, but the car is covered & I have too much going on in the garage to want to uncover it right now. If you look up at the trim, between the trim & the glass, with a bright shop light or in the bright sun, you should see the spring loaded clips.

FoxBuddy
04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I have taken some apart and they can be stuck pretty good in the window sealant. I need to remove some off our '79 this week. Pray for me when I need to try to put it back together.

PS: I hope you and I both have good luck with this. I would like to do my SVO trim this year as well!

MikeFleming
04-08-2014, 06:45 AM
I have pics of the rear triangle window trim strips off the car - that may help figure out how to R&R them.

Pictures:

MikeFleming
04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Pics added to above post.

FoxBuddy
04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Pics added to above post.

When they are out and the clips are separated (which they always are for me at removal) I look at it like one of those mind bender metal puzzles you have to separate and put back together.

(Actually the picture gives me a good visual now. Thanks.)

FoxBuddy
04-08-2014, 05:29 PM
How difficult is it to remove the quarter window frames?
And are new window "fuzz" channels available. This would be a good time to replace? I have heard if they are OK leave them alone. New ones tend to tax the motors. Just what I heard.
Any thoughts?
Chris

We are prepping to paint my sons '79 coupe hence the reason I'm asking about the trim. Some of the other items I pulled were these upper window pieces. I thought they were all cracked in the bends but it seems in '79 they notched them to fit the 90 and curve of the side windows. I was at the jy on the weekend and salvaged a nice one off an '86. The other was cracked. It should fit I think. $5. These are cranks btw.

I guess the point is keep your eyes out for a nicer used set and it may not tax those motors (nobody likes taxing).

Otto Man
04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
I think it would be a good idea to replace the window runchannels (the fuzzy things the windows slide up in).? Mine look OK but I’d atleast like to take them off rather than have them masked off. What do you guysthink?
Who is a good source for the new channels?
And for the last time, is the PPG code DCC 33717 correct for 85-1/2 graytrim? And is urethane for the bumpers AND metal?

FoxBuddy
04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
I have pics of the rear triangle window trim strips off the car - that may help figure out how to R&R them.

Pictures:

That's interesting. I pulled those triangles off our early 79 coupe and they were a different clip. These are going to be waay easier to put back on.