PDA

View Full Version : Hood vents

vrinner
07-22-2014, 09:40 PM
So does anyone have any thoughts on venting the hood? I had some serious overheating issues at my last track day. I am current in the process of making some ducting to go around the radiator so that all air that flows from the radiator openings go through the radiator. The next thing I'm thinking of is either some louvers behind the stock (HO Fibertrends) turbo duct and maybe on the sides of the hood, or doing a full on ducting of the radiator up over the hood.

Any ideas? I'm wanting to keep the stock SVO look so keeping the stock turbo inlet is key.

SVO4PWR2
07-22-2014, 11:15 PM
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?110279-Ranger-SVO&highlight=svo+hood+cut+ranger

The hood i plan on making will have the SVO hump but no opening But will have extractor duct.

-RICH-

GEEZ that link was 3 years ago ... i haven't made my hood yet :p

vrinner
07-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Functionality vs. looks is the most important...but for some reason I think it needs to retain the SVO look. If I can get any down force out of this that would be a good thing too.

grntRUDD13
07-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Don't know if you're against it or not, but have you thought about adding some sort of vents on the front of the hood where there would normally be a grill on other Mustangs? It would get quite a bit more air to flow across the radiator. If you get some sort of mesh to fill the openings, you can paint them to match which will help it blend a little better. You could also make some removable filler panels that would cover up the openings when you don't need the extra airflow. Kind of out there, but I figured I'd throw it out.

grntRUDD13
07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Another option I just thought of that might work is doing something like the air grabbers on the old Mopars. They were cable actuated hood scoops that if I remember right just fed air to the intake, but something similar could be adopted to just feed cool air to the engine compartment. When they aren't deployed, they would be somewhat hidden.

svono50
07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
How about using the factory Ford Mustang hood vents and placing them outboard of the center raised section of the hood? Extracting air from the hood should help pull more through the radiator and keep things cooler. Before these, you had the Lumina hood vents that are on a lot of cars as mods, but these are a bit narrower and should drop in pretty good.

vrinner
07-23-2014, 10:39 PM
How about using the factory Ford Mustang hood vents and placing them outboard of the center raised section of the hood? Extracting air from the hood should help pull more through the radiator and keep things cooler. Before these, you had the Lumina hood vents that are on a lot of cars as mods, but these are a bit narrower and should drop in pretty good.

I just ordered a set of these! Great idea!

MikeFleming
07-24-2014, 05:51 AM
If you want more airflow through the radiator, then your only option is the front exit duct that you labeled "Duct towards rear" in the drawing. Unfortunately that's a heavily-reinforced area in the stock and HO hoods and will require serious trimming on the upper surface - perhaps leaving the lower support structure in place? Iirc that structure is much needed to support the excessive front overhang on the SVO hood. Be careful trimming that area.

Then there's the issue of sealing between air compartment behind the radiator exit to the hood area to "assist" the hot exit air to go that way. The benefit is whatever hot air you get to exit upwards, that means less hot air going under the car to exit == more down force. More accurately less front end lift from the air going under the car.

The Mitsu EVO is an excellent example of doing this.

The other more rearwards vents won;t help much with radiator airflow while it wil help with underhood heat extraction. There is also a considerable amount of heat exiting through the wheel wells. under the car.

vrinner
07-27-2014, 10:02 AM
I've blocked off the sides of the radiator so all the air will flow through instead of around.

MikeFleming
07-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes, that will get airflow INTO the radiator. Now you need to determine where it exits the other side of the radiator. if there is a place for it to exit upwards, it will increase downforce on the front. if it has to exit under the car it will decrease downforce.

Helping airflow move easier into and then out of the radiator, will help with heat transfer to the airflow.

vrinner
07-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Yes, that will get airflow INTO the radiator. Now you need to determine where it exits the other side of the radiator. if there is a place for it to exit upwards, it will increase downforce on the front. if it has to exit under the car it will decrease downforce.

Helping airflow move easier into and then out of the radiator, will help with heat transfer to the airflow.

I see cutting my hood up in the future!

I'm thinking similar to the M81 Mustangs minus all the other stuff. Much like what I pictured in my original post. For now just cutting the hood open then eventually building a complete ducting solution venting all the air up out the hood and not even going past the engine. The Maximum Motorsports Mustang does something similar.

svono50
07-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Just follow what Terry Fair has done with his 2011 test mule over on Corner-Carvers and you would be golden...:cool: Seriously, a closed ducting system like that would certainly help, but you still have to manage other air into/out of the engine compartment as there will still be plenty of heat needing an escape route.

Bob Holmes
07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
My car doesn't overheat...just sayin. :stick_poke:

MikeFleming
07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
My car doesn't overheat...just sayin. :stick_poke: Bob's car needs more cooling for the crew that gets to push it in the pits. When it stops on track, the track sends a hook.

vrinner
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
My car doesn't overheat...just sayin. :stick_poke:

Number of Laps on the track X Average Temperature. Highest number wins. Actually any of the three categories! LOL

"The Race Car" = 85 X 220 = 18700
"The Blue Bitch" ???

MikeFleming
07-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Number of Laps on the track X Average Temperature. Highest number wins. If you use outside ambient temps, my red EVO will easily win that contest.

Bob Holmes
07-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Hmmm.

dagenham
08-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Have you ever thought about the old school trick of simply raising the rear of the hood by putting a spacer between the hinges and the hood??

vrinner
08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Have you ever thought about the old school trick of simply raising the rear of the hood by putting a spacer between the hinges and the hood??Might be a good short term option.

SVO4PWR2
08-03-2014, 05:42 PM
That could work.

-RICH-

Bob Holmes
08-03-2014, 07:34 PM
The high pressure area at the front of the car is the grille/bumper and the windshield. Why do you think that many circle track and roadracing cars pickup their induction air at the windshield. So, propping up the rear of the hood is going to do what???

Bob Holmes
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Pickup a GT 500 hood vent, the wide one, and install it right behind the radiator.

Helps with aero also.

svono50
08-04-2014, 08:57 AM
The high pressure area at the front of the car is the grille/bumper and the windshield. Why do you think that many circle track and roadracing cars pickup their induction air at the windshield. So, propping up the rear of the hood is going to do what???

You will actually create an air path through the engine compartment up and out over the windshield...despite the fact that the cowl area is a high pressure area. The pressure in the engine compartment is usually higher than at the cowl, so you will get flow up/out. It was amazing how much cooler my buddy's old 5.0L LX ran when he put on a 2" cowl hood...and how he rarely had to run his defroster in the winter with all the engine heat 'washing' the glass.

MikeFleming
08-04-2014, 09:21 AM
You will actually create an air path through the engine compartment up and out over the windshield...despite the fact that the cowl area is a high pressure area. The pressure in the engine compartment is usually higher than at the cowl, so you will get flow up/out. It was amazing how much cooler my buddy's old 5.0L LX ran when he put on a 2" cowl hood...and how he rarely had to run his defroster in the winter with all the engine heat 'washing' the glass. That's probably true for slow speeds, but, imho, not much of a benefit at higher (racing) speeds.

Hopefully Vince will be driving faster on-track than most street cars. At least I think that is his goal.

dagenham
08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted that Bob. Brain fart I suppose.

stott
08-07-2014, 09:21 AM
My recommendation is to get a hood from a 1979-1982 or 1983-1986 GT. Get rid of the SVO's hood overhang and get more airflow through the front opening, where you'll get the most bang for the buck.