PDA

View Full Version : Very Dim Headlights

MSheff
08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
My '86 headlights are so dim it is scary to drive at night. I think the bulb itself is bright enough. My lense is a bit hazy, but I don't think that is all the problem either. I think it is the reflective surface on the back of the headlamp case. There is really no reflective properties at all. Some new headlights (cases) would do the trick, but it looks like to me Carpenter is the only possible supplier and is out of stock and has no particular plan to build any more. Does anybody have any creative solutions to help my situation?

TheSVOTrust
08-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Are you sure you don't have an electrical issue (grounding or output) ????? You can take the bulb out of the plastic and view with car off, car on and compare left to right. (Use care as they do get hot)

Mark
P.S. Seems I have read this "issue" on forums, Facebook etc etc IF you haven't bought NOS light cases I would start above. Maybe you need to fix something and then you can just sand with 3000 paper and polish. (you can always coat the inside after)

NY eric
08-21-2014, 05:27 AM
Typically I would recommend going the relay route. This will get juice right from the battery vs coming through the crunchy wiring harness of the 86.

Mike S
08-21-2014, 05:32 AM
You may want to use the the relay method as explained here:

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/installing_headlight_relays.htm

I used it to take the load off of the light switch which is a known week spot as both head lights and fog lights current passes through it.

DaveS
08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
I guess I was just lucky. On my '86, I had a dim headlamp. I used spray electrical connector cleaner on the lamp socket to clean it. My headlamp was no longer dim.
There is also an aftermarket kit that you can use to upgrade your headlamp bulbs; I was strongly considering this until I lucked out with the aforementioned fix.

MSheff
08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Ok, all good ideas. I rarely drive the car after dark, but I remember now the last time I did the headlights would just go off by themselves and then back on. I remember thinking bad headlight switch at the time. Bypassing/relay makes all kinds of sense so I think I will try the relay fix. It may take me a while to get around to it, but I will make sure to post my results when I get done. Thanks guys!

soldthedart
10-21-2014, 03:55 AM
I had the same problem!
Turned out to be the grounds thast are for the headlights!
Located on the rad support just on the backside of where the headlights mount.
You don't even have to remove the headlight, its in the engine compartment next to the radiator.

MSheff
06-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi all, I finally got around to fixing my dim headlight problem and just wanted to complete the thread even though it is a bit old by now. I measured my voltage at the headlight and was getting 10.5 volts at each headlight. I tried running a jumper wire from the headlight ground to the battery, but got the same 10.5. So, I went with the relay route suggested by NY eric and Mike S. Now I have 12.5 volts and plenty of light on the road! I suppose they put the reflective material in the back of the headlight case for a reason, but it is definitely not the main reason the headlights are bright. I used my old headlight cases and did nothing to the lenses, so it was the voltage that made the difference. I ran across this youtube video that did a really good job of explaining the relay, voltage effect on the brightness etc., so passing it along... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0ikK5IQa0 Thanks for all the help guys!

TheSVOTrust
06-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Thank you for taking the time to tell the results !! So often a thread isn't completed or fix posted so you don't know how it worked out.

Mark

MSheff
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Ok, so this post is really old now, but thought I would ask this question here as it would complete the thought here. I am doing another headlight relay upgrade. I understand the wiring diagrams, etc., but they all say use 12 gauge wire. That is all fine, but pigtail on the headlight socket you are tying into is 14 gauge wire. At least that is all I have seen. Is this a problem?

dagenham
06-07-2016, 05:47 AM
You could cut the pigtail shorter. That would shorten the 14ga wire length. Or you could try removing the connectors from the socket and install the 12ga wire all the way.

Mike S
06-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Ok, so this post is really old now, but thought I would ask this question here as it would complete the thought here. I am doing another headlight relay upgrade. I understand the wiring diagrams, etc., but they all say use 12 gauge wire. That is all fine, but pigtail on the headlight socket you are tying into is 14 gauge wire. At least that is all I have seen. Is this a problem?

It's not a problem.