PDA

View Full Version : Wiring harness ?

Sick Puppy
08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
One of the POs of my '86 2R driver hacked up the under dash harness pretty bad. So far everything seems to work but I would feel better if I swapped in a good harness. He also made some modifications I don't like and I want to put the car back to stock specs.
I found a nice harness out of a lower mileage '84 and wanted to know if it would be a direct replacement or if a lot of things were changed between the two years? Is it just a matter of some connectors or is their major differences?

Thanks, Paul

MikeFleming
08-25-2014, 11:46 AM
No - the 84 and 86 dash harnesses have several differences. You *could* make it work, but it is not gonna be "plug and play".

I have an 86 dash harness that came with a complete dash I bought many, many years ago that I stripped down for just the DIN shell that lives in the Red Baron now. It's somewhere in the shop but I've not seen or looked for it in at least seven years. Iirc only the radio harness end was non-stock, but I've slept since then.

If you're interested, I can search for it in my leisure time.

Sick Puppy
08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll pass on the '84 I found. Anyone need it?
If you could find yours when you have a chance that would be awesome.
No hurry, as I said everything works but I would like to change it in the future.
Take your time...

Sick Puppy
08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
This is an example of the "rat's nest"...

Maybe he owns stock in 3M's electrical tape division???

MikeFleming
08-26-2014, 11:31 AM
You realize you will need to pull the dash to properly swap the harness, right?

A good opportunity to blast and paint those rusted brackets under there.

Sick Puppy
08-26-2014, 11:49 AM
You realize you will need to pull the dash to properly swap the harness, right?

A good opportunity to blast and paint those rusted brackets under there.

Yes Mike, I'm aware of that and I'm pretty good at it too. Ever change the premium sound radio in a GT Turbo?
The dash comes out for that project too...along with the heater ducts...and dropping the column. :(
Now I know where all the screws and nuts and bolts are. :D

MikeFleming
08-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Found I have two (2) 86 MY dash harnesses in various states of perfection.

How about I sent both of them to you, and you decide which one may suit your needs best, then return the other (or find a new, deserving owner)? Then, after you decide one may or may not meet your needs, we can negotiate price (plus shipping, of course).

K?

Can ship Tuesday. PM shipping info.

Sick Puppy
08-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Found I have two (2) 86 MY dash harnesses in various states of perfection.

How about I sent both of them to you, and you decide which one may suit your needs best, then return the other (or find a new, deserving owner)? Then, after you decide one may or may not meet your needs, we can negotiate price (plus shipping, of course).
K?
Can ship Tuesday. PM shipping info.

K! Sounds like a good plan to me. I have a FedEx account and I can generate a shipping label they will email to you. Then you don't have to worry about shipping as it will be billed to my account. If that works for you let me know providing you have a FedEx drop-off near you.

Thanks, Paul

MikeFleming
08-31-2014, 01:17 PM
PM'd.