PDA

View Full Version : Fun with EvapoRust

rodster
09-06-2014, 07:15 PM
I was curious if there were any factory markings under the rust on the rear cover so I soaked it in EvapoRust. The rust was so heavy it would have been better to media blast it but any markings would have been blasted off too. Didn't find any but I now have a nice clean rear (cover)! ;)

DaveS
09-07-2014, 05:08 AM
I was curious if there were any factory markings under the rust on the rear cover so I soaked it in EvapoRust. The rust was so heavy it would have been better to media blast it but any markings would have been blasted off too. Didn't find any but I now have a nice clean rear (cover)! ;)

How long did it take to remove the rust shown in the pictures above?

stockman1
09-07-2014, 07:36 AM
wow is that an eastwood product?

SVO4PWR2
09-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Are ya gonna soak your nutz too:stick_poke: ;)

EvapoRust is also sold at Harbor Frieght -RICH-

rodster
09-07-2014, 05:51 PM
How long did it take to remove the rust shown in the pictures above?

Probably 3 days would have done it but in order to get the most out of the solution I left it in longer. The first soak turned the solution black very quick so I rinsed it off and used a fine brush to remove any loose rust. When EvapoRust is spent, it turns black. Used new solution and soaked again until it was rust free. Used a small pick to remove any loose chunks of rust too. Probably used a gallon of solution.

wow is that an eastwood product?

Nope, EvapoRust. As Rich said, sold at Harbor Freight. I found it cheaper at my local Tractor Supply. $21.99 a gallon.

Are ya gonna soak your nutz too:stick_poke: ;)

EvapoRust is also sold at Harbor Frieght

-RICH-

Of course I soaked my nuts too! :D

That's really what EvapoRust is suited for, smaller parts. :) In order to preserve any factory markings it can be used on large parts too but it gets costly. Concours Mustang guys that are really concerned about details have even soaked driveshafts and it's amazing how the paint stripes are revealed.