PDA

View Full Version : How much is that SVO in the window ?

TheSVOTrust
09-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Hi

Would you (OWNERS) comment/support or repute some thoughts I told a friend that is looking to buy an SVO ????

I feel that SVO owners find they love the cars, look to add a second after purchase AND (this is where I'm asking if I'm nuts) probably once they learn more about SVO's would jump at the chance to be a "comp prep owner"!

Having said that to him I realized that some like early cars, some like certain colors. I don't want to lead you into a discussion based on rarity only. Anyone of us could comment on 85.5 Comp Preps compared to 86. Or just how rare that 4e, single wing, 41C car is! BUT how much does that add to prices. I was able to give him an easy answer - he was looking for "how much of a premium are those"! I was THEY DON'T COME UP FOR SALE, how can I guess!

Mark

bluemax
09-29-2014, 02:24 AM
I agree with your statement that "they don't come up for sale (often)".

Value (price) will always be dictated by condition. Even a CP can go for cheap money if it is in poor condition. The 1C out of SLC earlier this year, needed ALOT of work, and changed hands for less than $4k.

I have been looking for another CP for the past few years, the "right" car has not come along yet. My definition of "right" car is; condition (includes rust/undercoating), original parts (i.e. door panels), original documentation(window sticker, etc.), mileage (history), and color. I have a few favorite colors, but for the "right" car, would look hard at any of them. My plan for the car would be to show in MCA concours, so my needs are tailored towards that goal. It is getting harder to find specific SVO bits and pieces, so being an original, unmolested car is important to me.

All that being said... yes, for me, the 41C option does bring a premium on the price. How much? Again, a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay... :)

bluemax
09-29-2014, 03:52 AM
As info., there is an '85 1C CP for sale in NJ for less than $7k. The owner is very frustrated that it hasn't sold and has actually started selling off the "take off" parts from the car on eBay (including Koni manual, McGard locking instructions, etc.). Nice looking car, but it has been modified with roll bar, sub frame connectors, etc. I have asked for additional pics, no response.

So, here we have a nice car, reasonably priced, that no one wants... poor advertising (probably), price too high (could be, in our current market), etc., etc.

TheSVOTrust
09-29-2014, 04:21 AM
Thank you - I HOPE MORE WILL COMMENT !! (WE) are thinking the same way.

I had to say "I'm tainted" when David and I were talking ! My 86 41C falls into your "right car" category but not his. I was trying to explain that while some want a car they can show , win prizes and LOOKS PERFECT, other will want a car they can track, drive and not fear devaluing.

And I totally get the need for good condition, marketing and pricing. I see what I sold the 9L 85.5 41C car ONLY BECAUSE it was a 85.5 41C ! (I didn't want to use 15K in NOS parts restoring it) I respect the parts more than the cars!

So I guess that the 85.5 41C a car that fits the category of pricing benchmark.

Mark

P.S. That said out of all my the cars if someone said "you have to drive a car to XXXX" (fill in the place) it would be my 85.5 Comp Prep! It is because I know it like the back of my hand! I know I"m not going to win any "show and shine" awards. (I learned that parking the fully restored NON Mach 1 beside a rusted red Mustang that had spoilers, slats and mags that WON !! ) LOL

Kendal Coker
09-29-2014, 06:04 AM
I kind of have a thing for the comp preps. I think they are worth more but looking at the selling price I am not so sure. Like Matt said condition has a lot to do with price. I have purchased them for $800 up. I can restore one for less money than most because I have been stockpiling parts since the 80's and do most of my own work. I still don't think I can get my money back if I charge labor. I guess I just like having something to do on the weekends.

J. Caraco
09-29-2014, 06:15 AM
I see bluemax was smarter than me and kept his CP all original. I'm 2nd owner, since 6/89, black one. Nothing crazy mod wise, bigger frt brakes, sub frames conn, strut brace, turbo, exhaust etc. All bolt on, no roll cage, sunroof etc. Now TOTAL engine rebuild right now due to a couple melted pistons. I kept all the original parts of course and even have a few NOS I might actually install some day. As I have no intentions of selling I'm not really worry about value or sell price. Do I wish is WAS worth $20K vs $6/$8 (60K miles) of course. Maybe another 15-20 years it will be a bigger delta price from a non CP to one. I just want to drive it after it sat for almost 5 years waiting for the funds to grow to get it running again. Been 3 months waiting parts. I'll drive it a whole 2 weeks before the snow flies again!!!!! I do see some so/so ones on CL's that seems over priced, but these are doing nothing but getting rarer so maybe that's a good thing. ""a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay."" yes of course.

Under Pressure
11-26-2014, 04:47 AM
A car that was popular when it came out will hold it's value through the years. Comp Per, Green, Blue etc. The only people that know the difference are other SVO owners. If Ford had promoted the car better there would be a better resale now.