PDA

View Full Version : Dash pad question

SchoolBoy
09-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Has anyone ever tried to put a layer of fiberglass over a stock dash pad? I ask because one speaker grill is cracked and I am going to try and add a twin gauge pod.

dagenham
09-29-2014, 01:09 PM
I would imagine you will have to put a layer over the entire top at least. But the problem is with the foam only structure that the pad is made of. You will either have to try to do the job with the pad installed on the car or you will have to keep the pad perfectly flat to keep the fiberglass from drying with a bow or twist. Another problem is actually getting the fiberglass to adhere and stay on the old vinyl after years of protectant that was probably sprayed on it.
You would most likely be better off to just buy one of the overlays that is made for the dash and graft the gauge pod onto that.

SchoolBoy
09-29-2014, 07:57 PM
What do you think of using contact cement to glue felt to the pad then go over it with glass.

dagenham
10-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I guess that could work. If you mean doing it like the guys do when building stereos.

BLK BRD 88
10-01-2014, 10:36 PM
………………..
I agree with dagenham.
You would most likely be better off to just buy one of the overlays that is made for the dash and graft the gauge pod onto that.
The dash pad cover that I got, looks just like the original dash pad & is made of plastic that basically snapped into place without even gluing it.

But….….then, if you just want to play with fiberglass, go for it!
Ron