PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the ford brake light switch?

soldthedart
10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
My Daughter was following me in her car yesterday and told me I have no brake lights. I got under the dash and the switch actually is attached to the peddle? I can move it on axis and it works but I cant see how to adjust it. Most cars at least you can see a actuator of some sort.
Any pointers?

MikeFleming
10-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Outside of bad wiring, fuse, switch and/or bulb(s), here's some pics of how the switch mounts onto the brake pedal pin with the MC shaft in between.

HINT: The pedal pushes against the flat on the end of the MC push rod and that activates the switch before the MC rod moves. The switch will activate in about 1/4" of pedal movement.

soldthedart
10-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Mike once again you make working on these cars 10 times easier for the rest of us.
I would have to say that it looks as though I need to replace the switch. It works if I get under the dash and actuate it Is the backside of the switch that attaches to the peddle suppose to work as a anti/limited rotate tab? Perhaps that got bet up when I was working on the clutch Quadrant.
Ill check that while im under the dash..
With your pictorial I know exactly how it works.
Thanks Again Mike!!

DaveS
10-18-2014, 08:38 AM
I've never had to mess with the brake light switch on my SVOs; however, from the pictures above it looks identical to the one on my '66. I had to replace that switch twice in it's 48 year history. It is a very straight-forward replacement. I'd check to see if it is still available as a Motorcraft part.

soldthedart
10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
I went to Advanced auto parts and they had the motocraft part in stock for around $12 and some change.
Pulled the drivers seat " I have a lota Practice" and had that baby swapped out in no time.
Thanks again Mike.

MikeFleming
10-18-2014, 01:47 PM
No worries, Mate! It's always good to have woring brake lights.