PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Carpet

SVO8T4
12-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Hey All!

Can anyone guess as it why my hatch carpet looks like this on the left (driver's side)? The other side fits fine.
THANKS!!

svono50
12-10-2014, 10:26 AM
First question, is that factory carpet with the piping/edging on it?? I know my 86 is only stitched ~1" in from the edge and it is just a raw edge on the carpet. Could be a pre-86 thing I guess, but if it is an aftermarket replacement it could be dimentionally off (i.e.- too wide).

As for the fit, maybe to bottom of the side panel was reinstalled correctly and it is canted out toward the center of the car. The screws that mount the bottom of the side panel are self tapping screws, so if the panel was removed at some point and the installer didn't care to align them back to the original holes, they could have just ran the screws in where ever the panel sat. You would need to pull back the carpet, unscrew the 2-3 screws along the floor lip and push the panel back to see if there is another set of holes in the floor pan from the original position.

SVO8T4
12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Hey Ted
Previous owner has replaced the carpet. No idea where it came from though. I will check the tapping screws and let you know what I find.
THANKS!!!

SVO8T4
12-11-2014, 04:31 AM
No luck there. The carpet is just cut to two different shapes, the driver's side being wider. :(

svono50
12-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, at least you have an explanation to why. Unfortunately it is due to shabby aftermarket specifications, but I have a feeling what you have is better than what the original carpet was if it had to be replaced.