View Full Version : 86 svo headlights with LED bulbs
SchoolBoy
03-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I'll start with most of the used 86 svo headlights I've seen are horribly yellow to brown. To me it looks like they have been burned on the inside from the 9004 bulbs generating alot of heat. I also know most people wish they put out more light as well. This got me thinking about LED lights. They don't put out any heat that I know of. And after doing some reading it seams like the LED headlights on the market only make heat at the base where the circuit is. So this begs the question would a set of LMR LED kits for the 87-93 cars be worth a try? The only problem I can see is that kit uses 9007 bulbs. Would an adaptor work, or could you just repin them?
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9004LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Set-87-93
MikeFleming
03-18-2016, 06:15 AM
According to the video, they make "kits" for 1981-1993 models. Looks like the electronics (the constant current power source) is not part of the bulb base as is common with LED lights so there's that box that will need to be mounted nearby that will get hot.
As far as adapting the pigtail to your existing harness, that will be cake. Really easy.
The real questions are how much work is needed to get the bulb base to plug/twist into the housing, is the front lense clear enough to let the light out, is the reflective chrome surface in good enough condition, etc.
And it's only a hundred bucks.
SchoolBoy
03-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Well I have a set of brand new 86 repop lights so that shouldn't be a problem. So I guess it comes down to will they twist into the housing. Can you still buy the locking rings they cut up in the video?
MikeFleming
03-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Yep. Here's a few for the 9004:
http://www.autozone.com/screws-pins-and-clips/headlamp-retaining-screw-universal-type/help-chrysler-and-ford-1984-1996-headlamp-bulb-retainer-used-with-oem-9004-bulb/730494_0_0/
http://hidkitpros.com/shop/9004-9007-headlight-bulb-retainer-ring/
grntRUDD13
03-18-2016, 12:53 PM
One thing that might be an issue is that a lot of the reflectors for a standard bulb sometimes won't work with an LED. I was looking into changing the headlight on my motorcycle to LED, but after seeing how it turned out for other people, this ended up being a problem. That being said, my SVO's headlights are as you described and don't put out a lot of light, so comparatively it can't really get much worse. At the very least it would be roughly the same brightness but with a (probably) lower current draw.
MikeFleming
03-18-2016, 02:38 PM
^
There's qnty (brightness) of light and color, and focus of that light output. Needs to have a sharp vertical cut-off to keep from [unintentionally] blinding others.
Lots to test for.
SchoolBoy
03-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Ya alot of people seam to be more set on finding leds that are greater than 6k color spectrum. To me leds in the 4500 to 6000 look the best. Another thing I have noticed is people complain the leds don't project any farther down the road when they are used in stock housing. I think this is more the housings fault than the led bulb. Older housing were not ment to project out like modern cars.
MikeFleming
03-18-2016, 07:48 PM
My newest car had LED front lights. LOVE THEM.
Of course the projectors / lense are designed specifically for the LED bulbs.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.