PDA

View Full Version : Smooth and Prime Spats

Kirby 1986 SVO
07-29-2016, 04:52 PM
What would you use to smooth and prime the spats before doing the plastic adhesive and paint?

dagenham
07-31-2016, 04:50 PM
What do you mean smooth?? Do you mean the paint that is on them now has rock chips in it?

FoxBuddy
07-31-2016, 05:15 PM
What do you mean smooth?? Do you mean the paint that is on them now has rock chips in it?

I have some gravel rash on mine I'd like to touch up. Can they be wet sanded in place and painted without too much trouble?

Meotchh
07-31-2016, 11:58 PM
It will be tough to prep & paint on the car since the plastic edge wraps around & makes it difficult to scuff & prep without scuffing the body panel. It is also difficult to get a good clean spray on the edge while it is on the car. If you plan on spraying the entire spat, I would recommend removing the spat from the car. If you just want to use touch up paint on the chips, then you shouldn't need to scuff them or remove them. Just make sure you clean & prep the surface.

FoxBuddy
08-01-2016, 08:06 AM
It will be tough to prep & paint on the car since the plastic edge wraps around & makes it difficult to scuff & prep without scuffing the body panel. It is also difficult to get a good clean spray on the edge while it is on the car. If you plan on spraying the entire spat, I would recommend removing the spat from the car. If you just want to use touch up paint on the chips, then you shouldn't need to scuff them or remove them. Just make sure you clean & prep the surface.

I'm tempted to give it a try in place. It can't look worse than it is right now! The PO must have done some gravel road racing in the car judging by the patterns of the rash in places like the spats. No physical damage at least that I can see.

Removing the spat involves removing the back seat and pulling the quarter panels to access the last fasteners right? Ick.

Kirby 1986 SVO
08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off. It can be done, but your hands pay the price! The rocker moulding needs to be taken off as well. At the front fender, you need to take the screws on the inner skirt off, and get your hand in behind to take the only nut holding on the rocker moulding. 11/32 or 9mm. It is easier getting everything back together. I only did my drivers side, as my spat on the passenger is still good, but at least once it crumbles the process will be easier this time around. I took some pics if you need to see more details.

I'm tempted to give it a try in place. It can't look worse than it is right now! The PO must have done some gravel road racing in the car judging by the patterns of the rash in places like the spats. No physical damage at least that I can see.

Removing the spat involves removing the back seat and pulling the quarter panels to access the last fasteners right? Ick.

Kirby 1986 SVO
08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Figured it out, had replacement ones, turned out pretty good for a rookie!

Kirby 1986 SVO
08-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Go to Rocker moulding post, Mike Fleming posted some great pictures for me, helped me out alot !!

You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off. It can be done, but your hands pay the price! The rocker moulding needs to be taken off as well. At the front fender, you need to take the screws on the inner skirt off, and get your hand in behind to take the only nut holding on the rocker moulding. 11/32 or 9mm. It is easier getting everything back together. I only did my drivers side, as my spat on the passenger is still good, but at least once it crumbles the process will be easier this time around. I took some pics if you need to see more details.

MikeFleming
08-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Spat fastener pics.

FoxBuddy
08-01-2016, 08:24 PM
You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off.

Spat fastener pics.

So only one screw of the main rear quarter panel has to come off after the seat bottom and lower panel? I can get in some tight spots not too bad so I think I may investigate and try this.

I'm so used to the earlier one piece plastics that I'm thinking bigger than it may be.

MikeFleming
08-02-2016, 05:31 AM
^
Just be careful, keep a helper/co-worker nearby and move slowly. LOTS of sharp edges in there.

Kirby 1986 SVO
08-04-2016, 07:35 AM
So only one screw of the main rear quarter panel has to come off after the seat bottom and lower panel? I can get in some tight spots not too bad so I think I may investigate and try this.

I'm so used to the earlier one piece plastics that I'm thinking bigger than it may be.

IT can be done....hand takes a beating...

Kirby 1986 SVO
08-04-2016, 07:41 AM

MikeFleming
08-04-2016, 08:05 AM
If you take out the lower, trim piece you should be able to get to the retaining nuts.