PDA

View Full Version : AC line or part # needed

majestic
07-19-2018, 10:03 AM
The line that connects the lower condensor fitting to the tank by the firewall melted yesterday. Does anyone have this part or the part # for me to order it.

majestic
07-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Liquid line. Found one on Ebay for $27.

majestic
07-20-2018, 11:20 AM
So...... that was the head gasket going :(

Kind of at a crossroads with this project now. This has to be the most expensive $6k car I've ever owned. Not sure whether to dump it or get ready to spend some serious $ on a new motor. Probably just going to limp it home and let it sit for a few months.

brsvo
07-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Head gaskets are cheep. Time consuming but not the end of the world. We all have been down that road before.

MikeFleming
07-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Changing head gaskets is good practice!

majestic
07-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Changing head gaskets is good practice!

Not the kind of practice I enjoy.....

Probably going to take some time to think about what to do next. I'd kind of like to just build a new motor with an aluminum head, big cam, big injectors, etc. I don't know if there is anyone around here who can handle all of that, though. This engine has about 177k miles, so I don't think just slapping a new head gasket on is going to work for long. For whatever reason it popped the HG while only running 12lbs of boost. I'm guessing it was running lean, but I wasn't driving it when it happened.

brsvo
07-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Better to do a head gasket and tune the fuel than build a new motor and burn it up!

majestic
07-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Better to do a head gasket and tune the fuel than build a new motor and burn it up!

For sure.

Update..... the good news is it's not the headgasket. It's leaking coolant below the turbo. I can't tell if it's the line or the housing itself without access to a lift. I've been planning to upgrade the turbo and manifold anyway, so I guess I need to get those parts ordered. Any recommendations on a turbo and manifold? I don't want to say money is no issue, but I don't mind spending for good parts.

Meotchh
07-26-2018, 10:55 AM
This has to be the most expensive $6k car I've ever owned.

No one ever said owning a SVO was easy or cheap. It is a 30+ year old car, so things are going to break & wear out.

majestic
07-26-2018, 12:49 PM
No one ever said owning a SVO was easy or cheap. It is a 30+ year old car, so things are going to break & wear out.

Oh, I know. It's just frustrating that a lot of the items that have broken were relatively new when I bought the car.

Mike S
07-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Most likely the leak is the small connecting ~2" hose from the turbo to the hardline to the block. Easiest way to check this is to remove the starter and PS engine shock absorber so you have a clear view and access.

majestic
07-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Most likely the leak is the small connecting ~2" hose from the turbo to the hardline to the block. Easiest way to check this is to remove the starter and PS engine shock absorber so you have a clear view and access.

It's not the line. The leak is coming from under the turbo, above the coolant line. I'll just have to take the turbo off.

majestic
07-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Well, you were correct. I figured I'd go ahead and verify that before taking the whole thing apart. As soon as I took the top hose clamp off, I could see where the hose had split all the way around. It was spraying coolant back under the turbo. Kind of a pain to change, but it's done now. So..... I have a boport 1.5 cam kit on the way anyway :)

One other thing. The hose that I replaced was some sort of blue silicone. I took it to the parts store and told the guy I needed this size, but stronger/more heat tolerant. I explained that it was a coolant line, but close to the turbo. He gave me some reinforced heater hose. Will this hold up ok?

MikeFleming
07-31-2018, 01:10 PM
One other thing. The hose that I replaced was some sort of blue silicone. I took it to the parts store and told the guy I needed this size, but stronger/more heat tolerant. I explained that it was a coolant line, but close to the turbo. He gave me some reinforced heater hose. Will this hold up ok? "Normal" heater hose (1/2" ID, ~3" long) won't last near as long as the reinforced silicone hose. DO NOT use non-reinforced silicone hose - you want the multi=-layered stuff with the fabric in-between.

And DO NOT use serrated clamps. Use only clamps that are completely smooth on the inside. The serrations will cut the hose material.

majestic
07-31-2018, 01:26 PM
"Normal" heater hose (1/2" ID, ~3" long) won't last near as long as the reinforced silicone hose. DO NOT use non-reinforced silicone hose - you want the multi=-layered stuff with the fabric in-between.

And DO NOT use serrated clamps. Use only clamps that are completely smooth on the inside. The serrations will cut the hose material.

Well..... I reused the hose clamps that were on there. They are standard clamps but I didn't cinch them down too tight. I'll likely order some reinforced hose and do the job again with smooth clamps. That might be what caused the failure in the first place.