PDA

View Full Version : Color

Sluggo
05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
My 85 is a 2r color and needs paint bad. I'm considering changing the color, maybe something similar to 4e. The question is, Does changing from the factory color reduce the value of the car? I'm figuring no difference, especially since it will probably never be original in other areas or show car quality.

Patrick
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
A full repaint to another color would include door jambs and a whole lot more. Keep that in mind.

Bob Holmes
05-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I believe that folks should do what they want with their cars. If your more of a mod it guy than a restore it guy, than change the color as you see fit.

Sluggo
05-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I appreciate the "it's your car, do as you like" attitude, but my question wasn't meant to test or feel up other members. I've already ditched the 7.5 rear, front and rear control arms and springs, and put a Grant steering wheel in. The reason for asking is I don't want to stray too far from the "original look". I just can't see waiting for a 4E, favorite stock color, as I've never seen one in person around here. Not to mention if one was available I probably couldn't justify the purchase.

Also, a lot of owners emphasis the color code of there SVO's. It seems very few stray from the original factory color.
Why is that? Maybe I'd just feel guilty if I changed something that's more than a few bolts to restore to original?

MikeFleming
05-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Why is that? Maybe I'd just feel guilty if I changed something that's more than a few bolts to restore to original? It's one of the few that distinguishes stock SVOs from each other: year, color, wing arrangement, CP,...

svslow
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
If you sold it as a different color I wouldn't buy it. Also, some colors have smaller productions numbers than others, and people like to show of it's rarity. Mike's Point For example only 230 Medium canyon red metallic (2a) cars came with sunroofs between 1984-1986 OR just 1986 (I can't remember)

Jay4hand
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I've already ditched the 7.5 rear, front and rear control arms and springs, and put a Grant steering wheel in.

Would you be willing to part with your old control arms?

Sluggo
05-25-2012, 07:37 PM
If you sold it as a different color I wouldn't buy it.
That's kinda what I'm thinking.

So Canyon Red is 2A? I get 2A and 2R mixed up, it's 2A then.
Sorry, no sale of the original parts. I did scrap the rear, but all other original parts are being kept.

etc1006
05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
You gotta watch out for those guys named Mike with the RED cars.... 2A is the metallic red and the 2R is the "regular" red. My car was originally black (1C), then a metallic red, then a metallic grey... So it needs a total strip before I can even think of a color. I like the Tungsten Grey from the 07 or so Mustang, or Deep Emerald Green from my old 92 LX. But, I have been seeing a few 1C's being redone lately, and man, do they look sexy....

Kendal Coker
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
My 85 is a 2r color and needs paint bad. I'm considering changing the color, maybe something similar to 4e. The question is, Does changing from the factory color reduce the value of the car? I'm figuring no difference, especially since it will probably never be original in other areas or show car quality.

There is a 4E Hertz svo for sale at Foreyedpride Might want to check it out before you got to alot of trouble changing your color.

Patrick
05-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Wasn't Ken talking about selling one of his 4E's recently?

Ken P.
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Wasn't Ken talking about selling one of his 4E's recently?

Yes I have a tenative sale of the 86 4E with the heavily modified engine. I have an open agreement with Jason V. / Boardmaster. I also have two others that have shown interest in it. He is waiting on me just like several other folks. Just been real busy lately. Also kinda hard to let them go I guess... :(

I still have the 85 Hertz 4E, the 86 coupe 4E, and the 86 Capri 4E. Already sold the 86 Comp Prep 4E to Kendal.

IMO I'd paint it back original but I'm one of "those guys" HAHA :)

Sluggo
05-26-2012, 10:35 PM
There is a 4E Hertz svo for sale at Foreyedpride
There's 6 SVO's for sale on the 1st page. Good grief.
Thanks for the tip, but I won't be buying another anytime soon. I guess I'll just ponder this paint thing until it's time to buy paint.

Lanes84s
08-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I have a black (1C) SVO and it's impossible to hide anything wrong with it pretty much. I also have an 84' GT T-top that was a (1C) painted red (it was a more rare car if it was red) and I guarantee the value of the car dropped because of that. Because you have an SVO I would say don't change the color...buy a different four eye for like $2500 and paint it how you like it :D