PDA

View Full Version : Console Switch Re-labeling?

4themasses
06-01-2012, 05:14 AM
I was looking into this and kinda got away from it but here's the idea.

Most of our switches are functional but have the lettering wore off the faceplate. Do you think there is any place where we could get a group buy to have them re-labeled? I would think there would be a place where we could have this done.

Anyone know if this is being done for car enthusiasts elsewhere??

KevinK
06-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I believe it has been discussed before someplace. Try a hobby shop for pre-made lettering which is my guess burnished on. Then clear coat.

Bob Holmes
06-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I was thinking about making a mask, and then repainting.

Stinger
06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I was thinking about making a mask, and then repainting.

I've got a vinyl cutter so I may be able to make a mask, though making letters that small and getting them pulled away from the mask without any issues would be tricky.

4themasses
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
You guys are on to something! Like your saying, it may be tricky, even getting the die cut on there in the first place. I've done something similar with die cuts and had to use an Exacto with the skill of a surgeon.

I think if you could get it to work pretty good, it'd be a hit!

Bob Holmes
06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I've got a vinyl cutter so I may be able to make a mask, though making letters that small and getting them pulled away from the mask without any issues would be tricky.

Bingo! I thought it would be a bit of a hassle, but was the only way I could think to get a crisp edge to the letters.

Stinger
06-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Bingo! I thought it would be a bit of a hassle, but was the only way I could think to get a crisp edge to the letters.

The other issue would be whether the vinyl would follow the texture of the plate well enough to keep paint from bleeding through. Certainly a light dusting of paint, rather than a thick coat would be idea.

Meotchh
06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Check with some of the high end car audio customization shops. Many of the good places silkscreen stuff like that all the time. Check on some of the car audio forums for help. I've got a friend in Cleveland & another in Atlanta (not the two you are thinking of) that might be able to lend some insight to what they normally do.

Chalky
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
The other thought might be to get a rubber stamp made. It might be hard to get the font size right but I would think it would be easier than stenciling it on.

Gotboost?
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I tried the decals from a hobby shop, but wasn't happy with the way they turned out so I took them to a local shop to have them anodized (black) and then had another shop laser engrave them with the correct script. Now they will never wear from daily use.

brsvo
10-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Those look sweet! Then you had to paint the letters? Where and how much for this?

Gotboost?
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Those look sweet! Then you had to paint the letters? Where and how much for this?

No, the letters are engraved with a laser. The total cost (for 4 switch plates) was about $100. The the anodizing shop I dealt was were able to save me some money by combing my job with other people's jobs (large batch jobs bring down the costs). The engraving company charged me a flat $35 rate. I looked up manufacturers in Colorado Springs that did anodizing and called around until I found a shop that was able to meet my needs (and price). The laser engraving was done by a local shop that made custom trophies, plaques, awards, etc.

Gotboost?
10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Fixed a few typos:

No, the letters are engraved with a laser. The total cost (for 4 switch plates) was about $100. The the anodizing shop I dealt was able to save me some money by combining my job with other people's jobs (large batch jobs bring down the costs). The engraving company charged me a flat rate of $35. I looked up manufacturers in Colorado Springs that did anodizing and called around until I found a shop that was able to meet my needs (and price). The laser engraving was done by a local shop that made custom trophies, plaques, awards, etc.