Log in

View Full Version : Color help



Jay4hand
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
As you can see, my 85.5 was painted badly many years ago and for my project I want it to be as close to original as possible.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/jay4hand/SVO/side.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/jay4hand/SVO/rear.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/jay4hand/100_3392.jpg
I believe this is a 1B Medium Charcoal Metallic, but the exterior trim was victim of a meth head with a spray gun and now I am in search of some very good photos of an 85.5 so I can have my trim properly colored again. I do not know anyone locally who has an SVO, and aside from mine, I have never seen one so I have nothing to compare it to. I have heard that the trim lines are a dark grey, can someone please help me with some photos and descriptions on what I need to recolor and what color codes to use?

Chalky
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
yep, 1B was the colour grey used in 85. The trim colour is a charcoal grey. I know there is a PPG mix code but cant remember it right now and SEM make a version in a rattle can. There areas that will need the trim paint are the thin trims on doors and fenders, the thick sections on the bumper covers and rear 1/4's, the rear view mirrors, the window trims, the rocker mouldings and lower section on the spats, the stripes on the tail lights, the bi-wing and the cowl cover.

The door handles, locks, antenna/ base and the wiper arms are supposed to be semi gloss black.

HTH

MAPSVO
06-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Here is the SEM part number. I just repainted the trim on both the front and rear bumper and I used most of one can. If you are doing everything I probably would have a quart mixed and spray it through a gun, it will save you some $. Those spray cans are about $12 each.

tommyb
06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
If you don't wan't to rattle spray all the pieces mentioned before, the PPG code is DCC 33717. A paint guy may need to mix in a little something to make it flatter but once it is mixed right it is perfect, just got mine done.

turboj74
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
The SEM paint is superb. It lays down very nicely and doesnt show any overlap when recoating. I used the charcoal gray bumper coater from SVPU for all the interior plastic & SEM trim black for various pieces on my SVO.

FoxBuddy
07-14-2016, 06:39 AM
yep, 1B was the colour grey used in 85. The trim colour is a charcoal grey. I know there is a PPG mix code but cant remember it right now and SEM make a version in a rattle can. There areas that will need the trim paint are the thin trims on doors and fenders, the thick sections on the bumper covers and rear 1/4's, the rear view mirrors, the window trims, the rocker mouldings and lower section on the spats, the stripes on the tail lights, the bi-wing and the cowl cover.

The door handles, locks, antenna/ base and the wiper arms are supposed to be semi gloss black.

HTH

While using the search function, I found this thread with the info I needed. Thanks!

To confirm: the lower portion of the spat on an '86 is Charcoal and not Black? Mine sure look black but it may just be the lighting.

Some clarifying questions:

1. Does the grey on the front bumper molding wrap around under the front wheel arch?
2. Is the front bumper cover portion of the front wheel arch black underneath? Grey? Body color?
3. Is it practical to repaint the skinny side moldings due to PO overspray?
4. Is SEM trim black (39143) the right black for the "semi-gloss" or is there another that would be recommended or should be used?