PDA

View Full Version : Battery replacement?

boardmaster
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
The battery in the wife's blue svo decided to crap out on me, looking for suggestions for a replacement. I can buy one at a local Ford dealership for about $130. I can also get on at a local battery store for about $90. The ford one would be a motorcraft battery but the local store one would NOT be a motorcraft.

Now, does it have to be a Motorcraft? I know that it will be points deducted at car shows but doesn't matter to me. The only thing to consider when giving suggestions is that I LIVE IN CANADA!!! So most of the "Parts Stores" don't exist here, even Sears Canada is DIFFERENT than Sears USA. What other brand names are "car show acceptable". Thanks in advance!!

turboj74
06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Honestly, if this is a show car with all OEM parts, you should stay as close to possible as the original parts. Motorcraft is what the car came with. Too bad even the new motorcraft batteries say " Made in Mexico" on them. Unfortunately, batteries don't last forever. I have seen guys remove the old stickers and switch them to the new battery. Or even have a graphics place recreate the sticker. This would be for a serious show car where every point counts.

DaveS
06-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I've had great luck with the Motorcraft batteries and buy them when they are available in the size I need. I've even put Motorcraft batteries in a few Hondas (Friend's car).

You might see if you can find a Motorcraft jobber; they may have the battery at a bit lower price.

DaveS
06-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Here is proof!

18lbs
06-24-2012, 05:46 AM
For a nice day/occasional show car I would just put a Motorcraft, keeps it Ford.

KevinK
06-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Kirkland has some highly rated batteries but you will find these days few places have any listing for the correct size. Motorcraft always seems to last for me. As for shows, unless you are showing the car in the MCA unrestored class which is a 6 point deduction, a New Motorcraft is fine with a 1 point deduction in Concours. If going the cheap route, just get a black battery and take the labels off.

Daytonatunnel
07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I've also had great luck with Motorcraft batteries, they lasted 8+ years in my Powerstroke :), Put one in my 67 Fairlane 5 years ago. It do not use a "battery tender" over the winters when it sits, turns over every spring no problems.

Patrick
07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Do we need to think about hi rez original decal replacements for the coucours guys? Who has the best example to duplicate?

SVOTim
07-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Motorcraft here... battery tender as well. She sits a bunch during the winter.

MIKE'SVO
07-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Yep, OEM seems to be the way to go. Murray's auto parts used to sell them here in the States, when they were still around. I don't think any of the "discount" parts stores sells OEM.

KevinK
08-10-2012, 07:33 AM
I have an original battery which I install at shows. Its a pretty good example if you want to make decals. The problem is needing a white case battery to put them on.

Chalky
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd live to see that Kevin. As for the white case, spray paint :):):)

brsvo
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Are you saying the factory battery was white?

Meotchh
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Kevin is an original owner of a very low mile red car. He should know what the original battery looks:like2:

Chalky
08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Should look something like this.

dagenham
08-11-2012, 04:30 AM
I am sure one of the battery makers have a white case like that to use. I think Interstate uses a white case, but the tops are green.
What about a cover for the top of the battery like they make for the old Mustangs?? Just a thought.