PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise, gear drive ???

Daytonatunnel
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
The engine started making a new noise yesterday. Best way to describe it is sounds like I now have a gear driven camshaft. I'm guessing it's the idler or tensioner. If it is one of those, is this common ? Replace them as a set ? Any one brand you prefer or you've had bad luck with ? How hard of a job to repair ? Any concerns about putting a few more miles on it while it ? THANKS !!!!

Gyrhead
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
If it's the tensioner, it's a fairly easy job. Remove the plastic timing belt cover and loosen the tensioner hold down bolt and main pivot bolt slightly. Note the position of the tensioner's oval slotted adjustment hole on the hold down bolt first so you know which way it moves. it's kind of a right brain/left brain thing. Study it for a minute before you start prying. Use a pry bar to pull the tensioner away from the belt (don't pinch the belt) and then tighten the hold down bolt to hold it away and then you can get the timing belt out of the way while you remove the tensioner. If you don't move the aux sprocket, the cam or the crank, you should be able to just replace the tensioner and reverse the steps. The cam and crank sprockets won't move on their own, but the aux shaft could. All told, about a 30 minute job. Always easier the second time around.

BTW, there is only one tensioner, no set...I prefer the Ford Part. Still available at dealers. Pe careful prying on the middle of the tensioner. it's made with two halves and you can put a flat spot in it if you're not careful. You really don't need much effort to move it. If you are, you're prying it the wrong way

Daytonatunnel
07-14-2012, 09:41 AM
THANKS, we'll see next weekend :/

Gyrhead
07-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Oh, yeah. Ford part number

F57Z-6K254-A

Chalky
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
i bought a timing belt kit at NAPA a few years ago that included the tensioner. Was a nice piece, the tensioner roller was a billet piece.