PDA

View Full Version : 84 SVO Rock panel trim/moulding?

13204u
07-27-2012, 04:50 AM
In my continued quest to repair a fairly battered 84 SVO there is yet another part I am looking for. The car has what I would call either rocker panel moulding or trim prior to the rear tire spats. What is on the car is pretty dented up and beat down. They are bright polished strips on their at the moment, or at least were bright and polished, now just dirty dull and dented. My car is an original black car and it seems weird that this was the only chrome or polished metal on the car. Are these original? Where if anywhere can I find a decent set of replacements?

rickibrat2
07-27-2012, 04:58 AM
my guess us this is part of it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120955922973?item=120955922973&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

he is checking for me to see if he has the rest or the rocker panel

and he is checking to see if he has the correct dash with the fuzz on it for me he does have a lot of parts according to him and our conversation last night

Kendal Coker
07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
yours should be black. You can buy new ones from the mustang restoration places and cut them to length and paint them.

rickibrat2
07-27-2012, 06:21 AM
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-20200A/79-93-Mustang-Rh-Rocker-Panel-Measures-61-Long

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-20201A/79-93-Mustang-Lh-Rocker-Panel-Measures-61-Long

found these today i do not see the other parts

13204u
07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah I need the moudling not the panels. Guess I may have to junkyard it at this point. Which much to my detriment tends to be the answer with this car.

TheSVOTrust
07-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah I need the moudling not the panels. Guess I may have to junkyard it at this point. Which much to my detriment tends to be the answer with this car.

"Hunting" for parts - is more a combination of labor (time invested) and a balance of money (budget you can comfortably spend) on a car.

I am only saying that as there are MANY options (junkyard being one), NOS parts (most expensive route), Used parts (invest in this community and become worthy of the relationships that will be offered IF you reciprocate) and or "restoring" what you have.

Please don't read that wrong - WE have been helping SVO owners for over 20 years! Some want NOS , some put effort into "restoring" and others choose junkyard/used. LONG PIECE like this maybe sourced locally or at a show swap meet! IF you find a Gray 1986 one I wouldn't pass - rather scuff and paint satin black.

Mark
P.S. TO remove - lift up every 15" starting at the rear wheel opening, when you get to the front of the door -----STOP----!!!!
SLIDE the molding til hit hits the front tire and it will lift off. (any other way you will ruin it)
---

MikeFleming
07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
On the SVO those side moldings that go over the rocker panels are held on at the front with a threaded stud to the rear of the inside fender, just behind the wheel opening. The attachment plate for the threaded stud is removeable by rotating it inside the upper and lower bent-over rails in the molding.

Before paint disassembly:

After paint assembly:

TheSVOTrust
07-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah

But what about those that have to paint on the car? (Guess I'm the only one)

Mark
Mac Tools panels were sprayed yellow over the black ON THE CAR !!

MikeFleming
07-29-2012, 10:13 AM
But what about those that have to paint on the car? (Guess I'm the only one)

Mac Tools panels were sprayed yellow over the black ON THE CAR !! That's how Maaco does it. Windows trim (and even parts of the glass), tires, and all. One color everywhere.

stockman1
09-01-2013, 05:53 PM
"Hunting" for parts - is more a combination of labor (time invested) and a balance of money (budget you can comfortably spend) on a car.

I am only saying that as there are MANY options (junkyard being one), NOS parts (most expensive route), Used parts (invest in this community and become worthy of the relationships that will be offered IF you reciprocate) and or "restoring" what you have.

Please don't read that wrong - WE have been helping SVO owners for over 20 years! Some want NOS , some put effort into "restoring" and others choose junkyard/used. LONG PIECE like this maybe sourced locally or at a show swap meet! IF you find a Gray 1986 one I wouldn't pass - rather scuff and paint satin black.

Mark
P.S. TO remove - lift up every 15" starting at the rear wheel opening, when you get to the front of the door -----STOP----!!!!
SLIDE the molding til hit hits the front tire and it will lift off. (any other way you will ruin it)
---tips for installation? Painter did not get passenger side on well. I can see top of front clip?

brsvo
09-02-2013, 02:23 AM
The stockers are just thin aluminum and can be straightened or flattened pretty easily once removed. Remove following directions above. Reinstall using directions in reverse. Its easy once you start, after the front slide part (easily understood once off the vehicle) hook the bottom and lift it up over the top then lean it in and let it clip into place (its a spring clip). While on the subject how many spring clips are there supposed to be? My 84 has always had a gap at the door/fender gap am I missing a clip? It was repainted with a cheep paint job and my 86 doesn't have this gap? I repainted the 86 on the car so never checked the clips.

svopony
09-02-2013, 07:18 AM
it is a plastic clip around 1 in. wide if memory serves me right, put the top of the rocker trim in the channel and push on the bottom then it pops over another channel and is secure.

Bar

stockman1
09-03-2013, 04:56 PM
On the SVO those side moldings that go over the rocker panels are held on at the front with a threaded stud to the rear of the inside fender, just behind the wheel opening. The attachment plate for the threaded stud is removeable by rotating it inside the upper and lower bent-over rails in the molding.

Before paint disassembly:

After paint assembly:
1195this nut is accessed thru the wheel well liner?

mrzw70
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Just undo the back part of the fender liner to access the nut. It's actually not that hard to pull them off and replace them once you see them off the car the first time. I just reinstalled my driver side and the passenger side is next. They should come off with light force applied.