PDA

View Full Version : V belt pulley on 3g

dew34
07-31-2012, 02:33 PM
The alternator on my 84 svo is failing and i am looking to update it to at least a 95 amp 3g. I did alot of searching on the swap but got no real clear answer on using the 3g with a v belt . I read a post in the electrical forum here that spoke of machining the pulley for belt aligment but i am not sure if they are taking about the V belt pulley. What i want to do is use the V pulley off of the old alt on the 3g . Is this possible?
mike

svopony
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
yes it is possible, the machining that the thread was referring to is machining the front side of the pulley where the nut threads into to give it more threads to grip. you also need shim the back side of the pulley to align the pulley properly with the belts. Mike Fleming and or Pat will probably chime in soon, Mike is the one that got me started on gathering parts for the swap. there is instructions of how to do the swap but I am not going to get into club politics Bar

dew34
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks svopony i have a lathe and mill so machine work on the pulley should not be a issue. Mike just posted a pic in an un related thread with a pic of a 3g with a v belt thanks again
mike

rickibrat2
07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
i just got a pully from NAPA and installed it on the new high out put alternator no issues check alinement

Chalky
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I think I just removed the pulley of my old alt. and just bolted it to the new one. bTW, I'm sure the one I used was was from a '95 GT. easy to get and well priced.

MikeFleming
08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I looked for pics of my 3G-pulley mods and didn't locate them yet. Iirc I used the same spacer between the alt body and pulley then noticed that I only had about 2 threads engagement with the nut. So I machined a bit off the outer surface of the pulley washer surface and achieved full nut thread depth engagement. I used the dual-groove pulley.

I used my magnet laser pointers to get all the pulleys aligned to each other. Even with proper alignment, the bolts have a tendency to come off >7500 RPM.

dew34
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the information guys. Mike you just posted a pic in the Esslinger belt drive post that had a 3g with a v-belt.If i turned my motor 7500 rpm lol i think alot more than just the pulley nut would come loose!
mike

rickibrat2
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
i have yet to loos anything on my other 2.3 and i use to drop the cloth at almost that but i was only running for 3 sec

lost a lot of piston in my sand drag car