View Full Version : Body side molding adhesive of choice???
DaveS
08-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Before I head up to Sturgis, I need to take care of some of the thin (door) body side molding that is starting to become unglued. What is the adhesive of choice?
I'd prefer not to take the body side molding off, just re-glue the portion that has come off.
BTW, I'm waxing the car today...WOW, I should have done this earlier!
Meotchh
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
If you are not going to take it off, you will need to make sure you get the area really clean. DX330 will do a good job cleaning the surface. You can pick it up at most auto body supply stores. While you are picking up the DX330 pick up a roll of 3M double sided trim tape for the molding. They sell it in rolls of various widths, I think you'll want the 3/8" or 1/2" variety.
Chalky
08-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Dave, best bet is to remove it and replace the tape the full length of the piece so it won't come off again. There is a tool you can get to remove the old glue. It basically a large round rubber eraser that can fit into a drill and safely "rubs off" he old tape. As Mitch said, clean both surfaces with DX-330 and reapply.
DO NOT remove the metal strip that the double sided tape sits on. It's there to help maintain shape of the trim and removing it will cause the trims to shrink and warp!!!!!!
Raven855
08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm with Chalky on this one. If part of the tape is failing, chances are the rest is not far behind.
Meotchh
08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm with Chalky on this one. If part of the tape is failing, chances are the rest is not far behind.
And along comes Tony to join the band wagon!
Baaahhhh, yeah remove the entire trim piece & apply new tape, baaahhhhh
MikeFleming
08-13-2012, 05:14 PM
When re-installing, it's very a good idea to have someone help keep the trim away form the door as it's being applied. Not needed for the 8" pieces but nice for the door piece.
brsvo
08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Does anyone have a close up of the factory thin side moldings? I don't even know what they look like!
Meotchh
08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Here is a pic of the molding..1296
Raven855
08-14-2012, 06:10 AM
The SVO emblem on the front fender looks crooked there Mitch. Run out of tape?
MikeFleming
08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
The emblem looks straight to me - it's the car that looks crooked.
brsvo
08-14-2012, 12:50 PM
OK so I can't see anymore either is this a T shape or D or what? Lane asked me if his were stock and I couldn't tell him. BTW his are T shaped.
MikeFleming
08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Yes, "T" shaped is stock.
Meotchh
08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
The SVO emblem on the front fender looks crooked there Mitch. Run out of tape?
Nope, the line worker in 1986 was still buzzing from a late night out at the track drinking Scotch with some idiot racing a Nissan.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.