View Full Version : La series ECUs
13204u
08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
So I have been fortunate to come up on quite abit of parts for my SVO resto in a short period of time. Thankfully I have had the purchasing power to get me what I need. At the moment I have the opportunity to grab an ECU out of an 87 turbo coupe in the local bone yard. The issue being that it is automatic vehicle. I would love is this ECU would work for my SVO however my gut tells me I am going to need one out of a five speed vehicle. Is my assumption correct?
fess40
08-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I think for most years you can use the auto computer in a 5 speed car. You'll just throw some codes. A 5speed ecu however can't run in a car with the auto tranny.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
MikeFleming
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
If you plan to chip it (EEC Tuner or QuarterHorse add-on, for example) you can run the LA2/3 code on any LA/or LB computer.
For reference:
LA2 - 87 5-speed
LB2 - 87 auto
LA3 - 88 5-speed
LB3 - 88 auto
All of the above will throw codes for the missing solenoids that the pre-87 cars do not have (unless you add some resistors to simulate the loads).
rickibrat2
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
thank you i do have an LA-3 sitting here with a Large vam and was wondering about that
13204u
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
This is going to sound really green of me, but this is my first turbo ford, so essentially I have to buy a tuner to use this setup?
rickibrat2
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
tuners depend on how far the motor is from stock
to run the LA-3 you have to repin the harnne moving a few around
LA-3 has a differen rpm limit beofre it drops out cylanders think the LA- is around 6800 VS the 5500 of most other eec
tuners many have different IDEAS on and views on most are not user friendy for the first time user
Robertosvo
08-16-2012, 03:40 PM
This is going to sound really green of me, but this is my first turbo ford, so essentially I have to buy a tuner to use this setup?
All you will need to do is re-locate a few pins on your harness where it plugs into the computer and it will work
Also if this is going into an 84 0r 85 you will need brown top injectors
13204u
08-16-2012, 07:02 PM
I have the brown tops already. Just need an upgraded ecu.
rickibrat2
08-17-2012, 04:24 AM
you will also need the larger vam
Raven855
08-17-2012, 06:15 AM
The 84 SVO already has the large vam. There are many good sources on the web for repinning the computer connector, Caroth is an excellent resource for that, he is on here. http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/ecc%20pins%20all.doc is a good starting point. In addition to what has been posted here do not forget that you will have to unplug your BCM and use a manual valve. The manual valve is nice for driveability anyway. On the later 85.5 and 86 SVO you can use the same BCS.
rickibrat2
08-17-2012, 06:41 AM
thank you
caroth
08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
The document specific to repinning a P to L series computer is here:
http://rothfam.com/svo/reference/PEtoLA.pdf
fordzilla43
08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
yes you can run the auto ecu no prob just remember you must repin harness
MikeFleming
08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
If the OP started with an SVO, it already has the large VAF.
For reference: All SVOs and 87/88 TC models originally came with the large VAM.
All other Ford 2.3L EFI Turbo engines have the small VAM.
Under Pressure
05-13-2018, 04:58 PM
I have a PE computer that a tuner shop install a SCT 4-bank chip. If I remove the chip will the computer reset to the factory settings for the PE?
MikeFleming
05-13-2018, 05:31 PM
I have a PE computer that a tuner shop install a SCT 4-bank chip. If I remove the chip will the computer reset to the factory settings for the PE? Yes.
Under Pressure
05-14-2018, 02:38 AM
Thanks, with the 93 oct. gas hitting over $3.00 now and me now using AC I don't need over 205 Hp. Mike do you know anything about the PJ computer compared to the PE?
MikeFleming
05-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Thanks, with the 93 oct. gas hitting over $3.00 now and me now using AC I don't need over 205 Hp. Mike do you know anything about the PJ computer compared to the PE? PJ is for 30 :b/Hr injectors (aka greenies).
Under Pressure
05-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Thanks
MikeFleming
05-14-2018, 10:27 AM
^
No worries, Mate!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.