Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 1979 Mustang Ghia Turbo 4 Project

You could have thrown people for a loop by using a wood grain pattern on the roll cage to make it appear as though that S-box had a wooden roll cage.
    More effective with square tubing.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

WOW and I thought I was over the top about the wood grain look, Mitch has taken it a few levels TOO far in this case.

Maybe it's wood envy? Mitch are you envious of my wood???!!!

Starting to look like Bob's place around here, just a disaster, my OCD it going full tilt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Half Boost
    OCD?

Speaking of wood... Why do all your pictures make me feel so funny?

So as it has been with this car, it's been 1 step forward and three steps back, being a 79' has had it's ups and downs with compatibility to later Fox chassis and then again like here, parts availability.

While I had the steering column in the car, and the Q/R set-up installed, as I removed the crappy steering shaft to replace the rag joint, I noticed some up and down, plus side to side play, well wouldn't you know it the bottom bearing was bad, and that is something that is just not available........... so, on to the interwebz to check my local Wrench-A-Part and low and behold they just happen to have gotten in a little 1980 Mustang coupe in 2.3 4spd flavor.
    So we halt everything and load up my bag of tools and wander in towards Austin to see if I can possibly find a steering column in this little car.
    Before I leave I copy down everything I had written on my dry-earase board that I need that was listed and salvage parts, and headed out.
    As a back-up plan, I know of 3 more 1982 and earlier Mudstains at a sister Wrench-A-Part in Belton but that's over an hour and a half away.
    Luckly this yard here and it's 80' donor had the column I needed, and a few other items I had on my list, but of course here's another hang up, I needed the sway bar too, worst part is that I'm in my convertible and that sway bar isn't gonna fit, so I'll be going back with the wife's Expedition to snatch that up tomorrow, along with the manual rack that's in it.
    Ok so $80 later and I'm headed back to the laboratory (45min trip) with all my goodies I have acquired.

Your thinking this is cake, right? HA, did I mention the column didn't have a set of keys? NO!

So out come the lock pick set Magnum P.I. wanted to own and then I was able to fully disassemble the column, oh but wait!

The Q/R set-ip I put on, the hub doesn't have threaded bolt hole to take it off, Grrrrrr, so after some gentle prying (is there such a thing) I removed the hub, and proceeded to build a useable steering column, YAY!!

I could tell you about the Corbeau seats, and the seat track fiasco but, alas that would be another long drawn out crap story, let's just say that was a bitch too.

Hey at least all the steering is in and done, including the pump extension.

BTW did you notice I separated the water pump pulley so it's a single belt style?

So here's the donor Mudstain I got the parts from, as I went back this morning to get some other parts including the manual steering rack...... I got half way to pulling it out, and flopped down on the ground and oozed under it, I noticed some assmonkey fork lift operator skewed the rack right in the middle of it

Well it's been a bit of a push, I have two days from today before the first race, as you can guess it won't make it to the paint shop before then, and getting the finals buttoned up before Saturday is going to be tight.

Still have to replace the E-brake self adjust tabs, adjust the rear brake, and bleed the system, get it alined, and build the exhaust system, the last two being farmed out to local shops (on the exhaust side of things, the shop I'm taking it to will hopefully just let me pay them and allow me to do the work since I used to work there, and was the exhaust guy).

*edit: replace the winshield

There were more problems along this journey which kept me from take a POOP ton of photos like I normally do, one was the fact that the gas tank sending unit is unobtainiumn, but I was able to find someone on a facebook page that had one he was willing to pull out an mail to me.
    2 weeks and $70 later it showed up, which allowed me to install the tank and finish the fuel system.

Then there was the drive shaft, for what ever reason (and there are many hypotheticals) the drive shaft was 2" too long, so I had to drive an hour into Austin drop off the drive shaft and have it shortened, rebalanced, and new u-joints installed, that was four hours of just driving alone, plus $230

As some of you know about projects like this, going back and forth to places like Lowe's and Tractor Supply nickle and dime you, aside from the fact that it's a 20min drive into town and back, at least the parts store delivers to me, but having to go get hardware and such I have to to leave and do that on my own.

Then I guess in my going blind from looking at wiring, I missed the starter solenoid wire, so I had to go back and cut open the harness that I had modified, and rewire it for the start button on the console, plus finish the wiring for the electric fuel pump, and the electric fan relay/fan, which included lying on my back under the dash for an uncomfortable amount of time (get old sucks), and of course if you forgot something, HA, you had to get up and crawl out of the cage, blah, blah, blah.

Install the fire system, which ment to also fabricate a small console to mount the "T" handle/rip cord, and the switches for the above mentioned electrical systems.

If I hadn't mentioned it before, the engine was sitting diagonal in the K-member, so I supported the engine removed the engine mount and ground away part of the pad, allowing the engine to swing around to the driver's side to be back straight with the rear axle, this also ment to re-drill the transmission crossmember to accommodate the repositioning (yes I looked at several different ways to relocate it, this was the most proficient way to tackle this).

The hole in the firewall for the clutch cable was too small so I had to go in and grind the hole out to allow for the firewall adjuster/cable.

The throttle cable, even though I have like 5 different ones, was also an issue since I didn't have the room to make a bracket coming off the intake, was mounted to a tab/bracket mounted to the booster on the master cylinder, yup, as strange as it sounds it works and doesn't pose a problem, nor bind, I'll get you a better picture of this later.

In the wiring department, rewire for using the internally regulated 88' Turbo Coupe alternator, and I am using the TFI modual/distributor with the latemodel high output coil, and no EEC IV computer, so there is no timing curve generated, basically the timing will be locked where I see applicable.

On top of this kludge is a Holley 350cfm 2bbl carb.

I do want to make mention since I have been so busy:

Thank you to "baltimucho" for taking time out of his weekend with his daughter to meet me at the race track and pick-up some hens teeth, have lunch and share some cool stories with me, it was a crappy rainy day but I really enjoined hanging out with both of you.
    I'm sorry time ran out and we didn't get to go out on track even though it was wet.
    I also apologize I was completely worthless with the car problems
    I hope we can do it again next time you back around.
    Any consolation, Monday my wife was in a hit and run accident on her commute home, in the GT500, which was a half day spent at the body shop Tuesday getting an estimate for $1700 in damages, that will come out of my pocket to get repaired.

AND SHE LIVES!!!!

Last edited by Meotchh; 03-06-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Jeff needs his mouth washed out with soap!

Oh yeah, in the mists of all this we got our "Beta" car and our "Cop Car" back from the paint shop so I also had to take a couple of days to wash, install all the lights & locks, stripe/sticker and scuff and paint all the trim, mirrors, and cowl grilles, along with go pick-up the door signage from the race track (MSR Houston) south of Houston, which was another day out of pocket working on the Ghia

Quote Originally Posted by SVOC View Post
    I do want to make mention since I have been so busy:

Thank you to "baltimucho" for taking time out of his weekend with his daughter to meet me at the race track and pick-up some hens teeth, have lunch and share some cool stories with me, it was a crappy rainy day but I really enjoined hanging out with both of you.
    I'm sorry time ran out and we didn't get to go out on track even though it was wet.
    I also apologize I was completely worthless with the car problems
    I hope we can do it again next time you back around.
    Any consolation, Monday my wife was in a hit and run accident on her commute home, in the GT500, which was a half day spent at the body shop Tuesday getting an estimate for $1700 in damages, that will come out of my pocket to get repaired.

AND SHE LIVES!!!!

Thank you SVOC for an entertaining and rewarding afternoon! I'm looking forward to a return trip and better weather later this year!

No worries on the car problems, Southern hospitality is quite abundant in the middle-of-nowhere-Texas and we made it out alive and for less than $500! ;-)

Sorry to hear about the Shelby! That's no consolation at all... I wouldn't wish that on an enemy and his Camaro!

It was a pleasure to meet you and transact in person!

::m::

P.S.: THAT. SOUNDS. AWESOME! I want some video from the tailpipe. That doesn't sound like 88HP!

UGH! today was a long day, delayed in getting it to the alinement shop, because of brake bleeding issues and bad wheel cylinders, along with a faulty fuel filter leaking, a water leak, and now after running for a while an oil pressure sending unit leaking.

But she's under her own power and runs and drives.

Still need the aforementioned, alinement, plus exhaust, and a windshield since I broke that while putting in the cage. :/

Steps closer......

Getting it's act straightened out so it can fly right.