Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 Mustang Ghia Turbo 4 Project

Well it looks like rear floor pans replacement is on the list of things to do now :/

The time to completion, is obviously based on several things, finances (I'm self employed and the wife is a state worker) we have a lot of personal overhead, the weather is another one, although it's getting better, I can't paint till it stays warm and the humidity drops some more, and being able to get a few other projects moved out of the way too.
    (couple of them are not seen in the picture below)

Plus I have to make sure I keep my HOA outta my hair while I'm doing all of this.

So I guess it should hopefully get another strong move forward here in the next week or two, I fit it in around all the other stuff I have to take care of.

But believe me I'll keep snapping pictures and I'll keep you up on the progress as it happens.

OMG! Talk about a mess to clean up

It's the 90lbs hopper from Tractor Supply, and same with the oxide media, about $7.00 a 50lbs bag.

Well.......... a holiday or two, and a run here and there, most of it will be covered by something, and I haven't painted in 20 years, so I don't feel so bad.

And yes the steering shaft and the upper strut mounts will get re-shot the correct colors.

I

Had to do some reconnaissance at the salvage yard for a customer doing a Fox five lug swap, so while I was there I took my cordless sawzall and snatched the two transmission crossmember mounts I needed to further along this conversion.

$2 to get in, $10 for the mounts, and now all I have to do is remove them from the piece of floor pan they are attached to:

Ok I guess to update a little, I have decided that I'm going to go 5spd instead of the A4LD set-up, and so I negotiated myself into a 5spd out of an SVO

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    What hood you planning to use?

I have three directions I am contemplating, in order in which I'm leaning towards:

1) a liquid to air intercooler and keep the stock unsuspecting sleeper look:

2) I have a couple of 82' GT hood scoops laying around:

3) I have a damaged SVO hood, and I have a Turbo Coupe hood, I could graft the scoop/s from and weld it in:

Other than the added complexity, weight and maintenance, the LTA is the way to go for the lowest temps.

After dealing with the Shelby GT/SC's, GT500, and Terlingua's the complexity of the LTA set-up is minimal, and there isn't that much added weight.
    Not to be contradictory, but if I'm worried about that little amount of weight then the whole project on a whole is going in the wrong direction, and we're not building a Bob Holmes or John Bell Blair car here.

The cool thing is there is really no rush on this, but yes, I would rather lean towards liquid to air at this point.

Some Boost
    I followed this project on another site and love that you took the time to paint each engine item.
    I wish i had half the tools at your disposal lol.

Nice seeing you again.

P.s. Is that your 4 eye in the 50resto pics? i want those springs are on the fence about em.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsvo View Post
    I followed this project on another site and love that you took the time to paint each engine item.
    I wish i had half the tools at your disposal lol.

Nice seeing you again.

P.s. Is that your 4 eye in the 50resto pics? i want those springs are on the fence about em.
    I'm glad you'll be able to keep watching the progress of this project over here, as I have been limiting myself as the idiot forums I deal with.

YES, you are correct that is/was/is my car in the LRS catalog:

And yes those are the LRS spring in it, I will tell you they are a lot nicer than most straight rate springs, and they do really, really handle well, you will need to up grade the dampners to handle the up-rate in spring lbs.

The reason I say the car is/was/is my car, as you well know I molested this story by leaving out that this Ghia was for one of out kiddo's, well as you can tell we never got it done in time, sooooo I gave him my 85' LX 5.0 5spd you see picture in the catalog, off he went to college, happy as a lark not believing I gave him my favorite car, and a month after being at school, an inattentive driver ran a red light:

We are very lucky he is ok, and he was only shaken up by the whole ordeal, he was more scared about having to call me and let me know that his pride and joy was now totaled.

I reassured him I was more worried about him than the car, told him to cover it, and that one day I'll send a transport to AZ to pick it up and bring it back to Texas.

As you notice in the pictures, I did take the ROH ZS's off the car and put the factory 10holes on it for fear they would get stolen or something.
    And funny that I was thinking about putting the ROH's on the Ghia today if it would stop raining for a little bit.

The engine, A4LD trans, wiring, and PCM (LB3) are from an 1988 Turbo Coupe, the IHI turbo is rebuilt/new, the engine has 88k miles on it, new belts, spark plugs, cap rotor, oil/filter, and $100 worth of cooling lines, and the trans was rebuilt and updated has about 2500 miles on it.

This is the 88' Turbo Coupe I drove for a while that the drivetrain came out of:

And I thought I was the only one that plugged the bolt holes in the block before painting.

You've been very busy! Nice work.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

And I thought I was the only one that plugged the bolt holes in the block before painting.

You've been very busy! Nice work.

Mike I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir with you, but those that haven't been building engines, or have only built a few, it is important that you have everything clean, clean, clean, a little bit of stiction will change the torque/stretch settings on what ever you are fastening, even if it's not a race engine, or not, this is still important, just like NOT painting aluminum heads, or using a heat dispersing paint on the block .

Here the ole Marti Report on the Ghia for those of you whom may have wondered what one looks like:

And I had another idea about going a different direction with a 32v DOHC Mark VIII drivetrain with a couple of turbos, but I figured I'll do a 7th generation F Series Short Wide project for that.

Even though it would have been fun to do it, I'd already stuffed a boosted 32v in a Flopbody chassis already.

Some Boost
    Oh i know who it was for

of course he was like 4ft when i met him and yall.

This is Zach Btw, Austin ftw.

Oh i know who it was for

of course he was like 4ft when i met him and yall.

This is Zach Btw, Austin ftw.
    LMAO I wondered if this was Brown7 or not, awesome!!!!

Yeah he's all of 6' 5" now, kinda freaky actually, all grown up, as you noticed in one of the pics him helping me yank the 2.8 sixxer out.

Some Boost
    kids are weird like that. My daughter is 1.75 years, im 4 months into this deployment and she looks like a little teenager now lol.

when i get back ill have to start a project and finish up some things i started on the Svo before i left

how long have you been restoring it so far?

how long have you been restoring it so far?
    I have had the car for 5 years, but I have only been working on it for the past year, my heart attack kinda side lined it and put me a quite a bit behind on some of the Shelby projects, and the SVO project too, which I haven't started a thread on yet. :/

This was earlier in this year, the 67', an 85' LX 4 cylinder car, the 79' Ghia, an 86' SVO, and the 85' GT

Last edited by SVOC; 09-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.